What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Takka

General FAQ

1,089 posts in this topic

IP.B 4 is less than a year away for us, and it will include such a feature.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

I don't use View New Content because it doesn't let you limit the results to a particular forum, nor exclude certain forums. It shows you new content from every forum you have access to, and I'm usually not interested in it, or I want to see how active a certain forum is. I stick to just clicking on forums if the blue icon shows up.

Takka likes this

I rarely use it either. I look at the new topics section to find topics I'm interested in, then I post in those and it's set to follow topics I post in, so I don't need to check anywhere else.

Umh7x1l.gif

I didn't use View New Content because i didn't know it existed. But then I found out that there is this View New Content tool and now I use View New Content.

I use the View New Content button as I like to have the option of seeing everything thats new, regardless of what forum it is in.

nicksartthread.jpg

19th person to join the forums

:D

Whenever you get around to it, given a gifv url like so:

http://i.imgur.com/A61SaA1.gifv
simply chop off the extension and paste it in this snippet:

<video autoplay="" loop="">
<source src="{URL}.webm" type="video/webm">
<source src="{URL}.mp4" type="video/mp4">
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
</video>

Idk if anyone else still struggles with this, but I still do this manually every time I submit a silent & looping video as an "image".

NeX likes this

Yo, you can't replace this post with the regular gif. I originally posted a "gifv" which chooses a 4MB webm or mp4 depending on browser support. In contrast, the .gif file is 30MB. I can't be browsing threads on mobile if I'm going to get whacked with multiple 30MB downloads per page. (And no, spoiler tags don't help since they still download the content - it's just collapsed)

Literally every modern browser supports web video, even weird ones like Konqueror and Epiphany. Hell, even the Android stock browser from Gingerbread supports it.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video#Browser_support

[2] http://www.jwplayer.com/html5/formats/

Internet Explorer 9+, Chrome 6+ and Safari 5+ can play MP4's (type="video/mp4")

Chrome 6+, Firefox 3.6+ and Opera 10.6+ can play WebM's (type="video/webm")

I can understand not wanting to put in the effort to make using gifv easier, but actively removing them is another thing entirely.

Only staff members could post HTML, anyway. I just recently removed HTML permissions for Moderators and Managers because its heavier use becomes problematic, since it breaks when someone quotes you, and it also often messes up a lot of parsing in editors because it's done outside of the WYSIWYG version.

Edit: Both .gifv and .webm url's now automatically parse.

WaeV and Kavawuvi like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.