Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BAZ

BAZ_Canyon

This is my first attempt at making a map for Halo Custom Edition despite having played for over 10 years. It's a canyon with some overhead sniper bridges, a tunnel, and two bases. The map also has a few custom tags. Because it is my first map, it's probably not all that great, but I promise my next map will be much better! Attached is the .zip file containing the map. The map is also available on the HAC2 database. Anyways, enjoy!

BAZ_Canyon.zip

BAZ-Canyon-preview.png

Sunstriker7, Takka and (SBB) Storm like this

Tiddy-bits:

Thanks for sharing it here!

Although to meet our rules for releases, you'll also need to include at least 1 picture or video of the map.

Krazychic likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

2 hours ago, Takka933 said:

Thanks for sharing it here!

Although to meet our rules for releases, you'll also need to include at least 1 picture or video of the map.

I'll do that now! My bad.

Sunstriker7 and Takka like this

I downloaded it and played it. Pretty good for a first map. We'll be watching your career with great interest.

I might offer a few suggestions:

It appears like you calculated lightmaps before placing scenery. That's a good thing to do so you can see how things are looking, but you need to remember to run it again as one of the very last things you do after placing all of your static geometry. In your case it resulted in none of your scenery casting shadows and the teleporter not being a light source.

The issues with the textures on your cliff walls are from your UVs not being totally correct. I know that's hard to get down at first, but pay attention to those pesky UVs. You'll get better with practice.

Lastly remember that form follows function. 

Even the shape of your BSP should follow some kind of shape to facilitate whatever experience you're trying to give the player. Unless of course your only goal is just to make eye candy maps, in which case disregard this last bit of advice and pay more attention to the first two points.

Edited by Sunstriker7
Takka and BAZ like this

4 hours ago, Sunstriker7 said:

I downloaded it and played it. Pretty good for a first map. We'll be watching your career with great interest.

I might offer a few suggestions:

It appears like you calculated lightmaps before placing scenery. That's a good thing to do so you can see how things are looking, but you need to remember to run it again as one of the very last things you do after placing all of your static geometry. In your case it resulted in none of your scenery casting shadows and the teleporter not being a light source.

The issues with the textures on your cliff walls are from your UVs not being totally correct. I know that's hard to get down at first, but pay attention to those pesky UVs. You'll get better with practice.

Lastly remember that form follows function. 

Even the shape of your BSP should follow some kind of shape to facilitate whatever experience you're trying to give the player. Unless of course your only goal is just to make eye candy maps, in which case disregard this last bit of advice and pay more attention to the first two points.

I will absolutely keep these tips in mind as I begin to make my second map. I appreciate the feedback!

Sunstriker7 likes this

Looks interesting. I definitely second Takka here and would say that as someone who still likes looking at other people's creations, but doesn't play, either a gameplay video or a video that gives a tour/commentary on the map (or just a collection of good pics) would be much appreciated! I like the idea of an open map where there are canyons (like Avalanche or Blood Gulch) to fight in close quarters. Your picture reminds with the high balconies reminds me of the single player level from Halo 1 Assault on the Control Room, which I think is pretty neat.

Edited by blitzburns4
BAZ and Sunstriker7 like this

a992ae08-e9d5-4370-b077-011e3a82a78a_zps4de3f30c.jpg

On 3/1/2019 at 6:11 PM, blitzburns4 said:

Looks interesting. I definitely second Takka here and would say that as someone who still likes looking at other people's creations, but doesn't play, either a gameplay video or a video that gives a tour/commentary on the map (or just a collection of good pics) would be much appreciated! I like the idea of an open map where there are canyons (like Avalanche or Blood Gulch) to fight in close quarters. Your picture reminds with the high balconies reminds me of the single player level from Halo 1 Assault on the Control Room, which I think is pretty neat.

I could definitely post a collection of pictures when I get some free time. I appreciate the feedback!

@(SBB) Storm Thank you for posting this. I watched the whole thing and cracked up hard at the 3 minute mark when that banshee fell on you. Also towards the beginning when finally you get across the skybridge and just end up in the middle of the map and react like "Well. That was a meh" was really funny too.

Edited by blitzburns4
Add more input.
(SBB) Storm likes this

a992ae08-e9d5-4370-b077-011e3a82a78a_zps4de3f30c.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0