What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hipsterrr

Halo Counter-Strike

It came to my as an idea in the shower. Halo Counter-Strike.

I'm not talking about Marines vs Covenant. No, this takes place before the Covenant war.

So, Marines vs Insurgents.

Here are some the current ideas for it I have.

Most of the weapons from Halo 1 and 2 (Human only)

Loud footsteps
Custom maps
Custom player models (ODST, Regular Marine model, and Insurgent)
Maybe bomb mode, or VIP assassination
Increased health
Decreased weapon damage
Classic Gamemodes (CTF)
Buy system
Weapons cost money
Purchaseable armor
A new king of flashbang
Added Smoke grenade
Fire grenades?
Improved crosshair (Similar to CS?)
Headshots usually one shot kill?
Health heavily increased
NO SHIELDS
Warthogs?

As someone who knows next to nothing about coding, this project is merely an idea at the moment. I'll probably update this post as I go.

[EDIT] Please keep input going guys. I've decided I'm going to make this the Source engine that Counter-Strike uses (C++)

I'll try to keep this post updated as often as possible. Tomorrow: I start learning C++!

Please comment if you have any insights!
Floofies likes this

Tiddy-bits:

As with modding as so many endeavors, success is 2% inspiration and 98% perspiration. That being said, we'll certainly watch with interest and help with specific questions as you work on this. Let us know if you need any pointers to get started.

Do you plan on using Halo PC tools, or CE's Halo Editing Kit? (HEK)

NeX and Floofies like this

Honestly most of the things you have in that list already exist in the CE modding community. There's obviously some newer marine models, all the way up through Reach if you can find 'em. Insurgents have been made, mainly as a slight change to the standard marine model, with things like baseball caps and less "formal" military garb.

As for integrating a "purchase" system requiring some form of credits into the game....I'm not sure how practical that is outside of a large, complex LUA script that is handled server side. Honestly it needn't even bee too complicated. Zombies gametypes typically award a score based on time+kills, and it'd be easy to let players exchange those score points to get better weapons, health, shielding upgrades, etc. However, it'd almost certainly be a chat-based system, which makes it difficult to implement due to language barriers. Now, you could make it VERY complex, and have a user type their preferred language upon joining a server, and remember their IP/hash to keep those settings in a log file somewhere, but then we're talking about a large read-in table upon each game based on who's already in the server, and then parsing it each time a player joins. Resource wise, this could potentially be very costly. I don't know if there's a way to integrate HSC scripts and UI widget definitions to interface with a server-based LUA script, but that's a potential option, just give the player's UI some menus about what they can/cannot afford based on the scores they have, but HSCs cannot natively (aside from OpenSauce) detect what that client's player index is inside of the server (aside from literally panning the camera to each player and having them select "this is me" when they see themselves, which is ridiculous - see this video

)

All in all, it sounds like a neat idea, but like WaeV so accurately stated, it's 2% inspiration, 98% perspiration. There are times when I question even starting a project as large as my own, and I'm already done with most of the heavy lifting at this point. It's a long, hard road to make a series of maps, even more so when you're talking about changing the style of the game entirely.

That being said, start collecting assets as soon as possible, and I think I speak for all of us here when I wish you the best of luck. Keep posting updates!

Hipsterrr likes this

KsqHutE.png

As for integrating a "purchase" system requiring some form of credits into the game....I'm not sure how practical that is outside of a large, complex LUA script that is handled server side.

TCK's Red Skulls campaign used to have some sort of purchase system using CE scripting, I think. (Different from server scripting)

TCK's Red Skulls campaign used to have some sort of purchase system using CE scripting, I think. (Different from server scripting)

Well yes, in campaign you only have the one player to worry about. In this one you'd have (to my knowledge) no simple way to communicate how many "credits" the player has from the server back to the client side scripts

KsqHutE.png

As with modding as so many endeavors, success is 2% inspiration and 98% perspiration. That being said, we'll certainly watch with interest and help with specific questions as you work on this. Let us know if you need any pointers to get started.

Do you plan on using Halo PC tools, or CE's Halo Editing Kit? (HEK)

Honestly, I'm probably gonna do this through CSS.

Thank you for input @ NeX

Honestly, I'm probably gonna do this through CSS.

You're going to make Halo Counter Strike in Counter Strike Source?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0