Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Samuco

BSP question

Are there additional structures in the BSP which are missing from eschaton/sparky plugins? I managed to resize a bsp, but the rendering has gone all funky (collision works ok).

Does anyone know how Halo determines cluster visibility?

WaeV likes this

Tiddy-bits:

Are there additional structures in the BSP which are missing from eschaton/sparky plugins? I managed to resize a bsp, but the rendering has gone all funky (collision works ok).

Does anyone know how Halo determines cluster visibility?

I know there are "sector" type bits you can place in Sapien to plane off parts of the map for rendering purposes (I think)

Doldrums.png

There are "clusters" that separate the BSP into regions for rendering/portalling. For example, there's geometry that is given a specific identifier, this geometry is a flat plane that then "cuts off" every [part of the map in that section. It's usually set up like a grid, and I believe that whichever section of that portal that is FACING you is the section you're in. I believe the portals are named as well. however that info really isn't as important to you as this would be;

Complete Tutorial on Level Creation from Bungie/Gearbox, includes Portals, Exact Portals, and Player Clipping Geometry

And here's the entire SBSP tag of bloodgulch in Kornman. It'll at least give you the first of each of the reflexives, which you can then hopefully use to map out the rest.

bPiDvDc.jpg

Edited by DeadHamster
WaeV likes this

Everything excluding Leaf Map Leaves and Leaf Map Portals has been updated for the resized map. These leaves/portals look suspiciously like they would cause the issue, but I cannot find them in the map. 

If you do not look at where the existing geometry was, then it's not rendered. Really strange :\

cJOZWkn.jpg

Everything excluding Leaf Map Leaves and Leaf Map Portals has been updated for the resized map. These leaves/portals look suspiciously like they would cause the issue, but I cannot find them in the map. 

If you do not look at where the existing geometry was, then it's not rendered. Really strange :\

cJOZWkn.jpg

Definitely sounds like a portaling problem. The leaf map portals may very well be your problem. I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure the portals are actually part of the BSP geometry.

Doldrums.png

The portals are modeled as part of the BSP geometry.

Definitely a portalling issue. If the portals were never resized, then they would only be rendered when inside the original portals.

There's a whole section labeled "clusters" in the SBSP tag, it's a reflexive that contains a list of portals it uses with some values. Then following that section of the tag is a listing of cluster portals, which also gives the coordinates for mapping them out.

Are you changing/looking at all that data?

NeX likes this

Here is the data being modified in relation to the BSP:
Uncompressed BSP Vertices

Compressed BSP Vertices

Subcluster world bounds

Mirror planes

Mirror verts

Fog planes

Fog verts

Cluster portal centroid

Cluster portal bounding radius

Cluster portal verts

Material centroid <- I don't know if I have the correct offset because eschaton doesn't even show these

Material planes

Collision verts, planes... etc

Map bounds

Floor

Ceiling

// Do cluster portals have associated planes? If so, where is the data stored

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0