What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TCK

AMD driver question

I just recently checked for driver updates and it asked me to update to Crimson which "replaces AMD Catalyst."

So I installed it, but I didn't install the game launcher shell or whatever that came with it (Gaming Evolved or something). After restarting, AMD Catalyst is still what loads as my driver UI.

So I guess my question is, does Crimson only replace Catalyst if you install their game launcher (as in I still have the latest driver in use, but the gaming evolved app is the part that would have replaced Catalyst), or am I still on the old driver and is there something manual I need to do in order for Crimson to load instead of Catalyst?

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

Tiddy-bits:

Uninstall your current drivers and do a clean install of Crimson.

Gaming Evolved has nothing to do with Crimson, it's just bundled with it the same way GeForce Experience is bundled with NVIDIA's drivers.

Use DDU in safe mode and then install Crimson in normal.

Alright thanks. Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't make much sense for them to tie their control panel in with their launcher, but I don't put anything past anybody these days.

Umh7x1l.gif

Alright thanks. Yeah I was thinking it wouldn't make much sense for them to tie their control panel in with their launcher, but I don't put anything past anybody these days.

Yeah. Gaming Evolved is a useful tool at times but I wouldn't put it past them to make such a sloppy tool a requirement.

Since this is a relevant thread for it, I recommend you don't touch Overdrive at all. Don't even try to look at the settings, there's no way to turn it off in Crimson for some reason. There's currently a fan speed bug with the initial release of Crimson that was bundled with the latest driver update.

Although I'm not having such issues on an R9 280 (with Overdrive enabled), some people are reporting fan speeds as low as 10% causing their cards to reach dangerously high temperatures in intensive games.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0