What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Risk

Battlefield 1

Battlefield 1. HOOOOO boy that was the most ridiculous title I had ever read whenever it got leaked. I couldn't believe it, I thought it surely had to be fake. Seriously, it's worse than making another game in a long-running series and lazily giving it the title of the original game, like Doom. I get that it's in WW1, but seriously, I feel like they could have done better with the name. Okay, now that I got my nagging out of the way, let me get to my thoughts on this next installment: meeeeeeeeeh. BF3 has to be my favorite, with fond memories of the game in its pre-patched state. BF4 definitely took a hit to quality but I've still managed to have fun with it, however it was clearly rushed, and it doesn't help that I usually play it on a PS3. Hardline, I skipped that shit. BF1, however, looks very nice and pretty, and while I love the aesthetic of the early 20th century, we all know that the game is very historically inaccurate; I could be wrong about a few things, and please correct me if I am, but I'm fairly certain soldiers did not run around using early SMGs with drum magazines, or lugged around those heavy machine guns outside of the trenches. Lets not even get started about the abundance of tanks we've seen. Still, it is just a game, and even the "modern" Battlefields are no exception to these inaccuracies, however, I feel it sets a bad precedent for people who don't know the war or the era well, including me. It still looks pretty fun, however I may pass on it simply because there's no EOD bot, my true weapon of choice in these games. What do you guys think of it?

xgd0s9.jpg

Tiddy-bits:

DICE has definitely taken a few liberties with the history for playability (imo). However,in a preview video i saw a few things that were historically accurate, chief among them an M1903 "Springfield" rifle fitted with a Pedersen device,which was developed to provide US Army soldiers with trench-clearing fire capability(in addition to pump shotguns,which the Germans disliked so much they stated anyone captured with one would be executed on the spot!). Not 100 % sure it saw action but some were definitely produced,after the war they were confiscated and destroyed to prevent them falling into the "wrong" hands,i.e. criminals.Didn't seem to stop them as they picked up "Tommy" guns(Thompson submachine gun) ,which were a very short time from making an appearance in WW1. By America's entrance into combat in the war in the spring of 1918,there were hundreds of tanks available to the Allies,it was the Germans who had very few tanks. Flamethrowers, submachine guns,anti tank rifles and squad automatic weapons (Chauchat and one other French design) had all made appearances in combat by war's end. The first aircraft carrier was being tested by the British by war's end,and submarines and unrestricted sub warfare were ostensibly the reason America entered the war. I'm interested to see how the chemical warfare is handled in game among other things. As far as actual history goes a most eye opening book about the cost of the war from the American perspective is "The Illusion of Victory" by Thomas Fleming,which opened my eyes to the staggering tolls in dead and wounded we suffered in about 9 months of fighting,and the prohibitive retribution taken against Germany which led directly to WW2. Fleming casts the French and especially the British as the villians of the book,and i'm not so sure that's an inaccurate portrayal,too complicated to get into here but a very good alternative view of America's involvement if you were interested.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0