Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

Dynamic Blood Effect

dbloood.png

If you follow this tutorial accurately your dynamic blood will only be triggered by explosions that get past shields or death by vehicles. Your blood will flow freely around BSP features, scenery, even vehicles dynamically, and when reaching a certain point in its life it will vein out into smaller streams before dying.

Firstly, you're going to want to build this effect in the map you want it in. Do not PMI this effect and expect it to still work. Eschaton's rebuilding process breaks it. This is fixable of course, but I won't be covering that.

Open your map up in Eschaton, find the effect called 'effects\blood aoe human' and duplicate it non-recursively as well as duplicate the particle 'effects\particles\solid\blood h decal causing' recursively.

Go to your original 'effects\blood aoe human' effect tag and in the Meta Editor under 'Particles 2' 'ColorARGBs' set both the upper and lower bound alpha levels to 0. Under 'Particles 2' 'Floats' change both the 'distribution radius' bounds to 0.4, then change both the 'velocity' bounds to 0. Under 'Particles 2' 'Int16s' change 'count' to 2 and 'count - to' to 3.

Go to your original 'effects\particles\solid\blood h decal causing' particle and in the Meta Editor under 'Bitmask32s' in the first flag group, uncheck 'dies at rest'. Under 'Floats' change 'lifespan' to 2 and 'lifespan - to' to 3. Then move to the Reference Swapper and swap the one point physics reference to your duplicated 'effects\point physics\stones' tag, then swap the second effect reference (which should initially be nulled out) to your duplicated effect 'effects\blood aoe human'.

Go to your duplicated effect called 'effects\blood aoe human' and in the Meta Editor under 'Particles 2' 'ColorARGBs' set both the upper and lower bound alpha levels to 0. Under 'Particles 2' 'Floats' change both the 'distribution radius' bounds to 0, then change 'velocity' to 1 and 'velocity - to' to 0.5, and change 'velocity cone angle' to 3.14. Under 'Particles 2' 'Int16s' change both the 'count' bounds to 2. Next under the Reference Swapper, null all references except the second of the three particle references, swap that remaining reference to your duplicated 'effects\particles\solid\blood h decal causing' particle.

Go to your duplicated 'effects\particles\solid\blood h decal causing' particle and in the Meta Editor under 'Bitmask32s' in the first flag group, uncheck 'dies at rest'. Under 'Floats' change 'lifespan' to 2 and 'lifespan - to' to 3.5.

Go to your duplicated point physics tag 'effects\point physics\stones' in the Meta Editor and go to 'Floats' to change 'air friction' to 10, 'surface friction' to 0.1, and 'elasticity' to 0.

Go to your stock small blood splat decal 'effects\decals\blood splats\blood splat small' while using HMT plugins and go to 'Floats' to change 'lifetime' to 23 and 'lifetime - to' to 25.

Go to your duplicated small blood splat decal 'effects\decals\blood splats\blood splat small' which you have as a result of your recursive tag duplication. While using HMT plugins go to 'Floats' and change both 'radius' bounds to 0.03, and then change 'lifetime' to 23 and 'lifetime - to' to 25.
Sunstriker7, Kavawuvi, Sceny and 1 other like this

tycho.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

The original tut on this is the reason I quit modding for a few months. :|

Aw xD the original was much easier than this one.

This is why I didn't make a tutorial on dynamic fire, imagine this about 30x more complex.

Sceny likes this

tycho.png

It is now my goal to add this to all Revolution maps, especially after seeing it firsthand in the new ftw battlecreek. Sexy sexy effects

If you want to wait a couple days, I'll update this tutorial for you. My latest mods used a better version of this effect, but I haven't had a chance to update the tutorials yet. I'll post here when I've made my changes so that you know.

WaeV and NeX like this

tycho.png

If you want to wait a couple days, I'll update this tutorial for you. My latest mods used a better version of this effect, but I haven't had a chance to update the tutorials yet. I'll post here when I've made my changes so that you know.

Absolutely that'd be great!

KsqHutE.png