What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghost

Where should I buy a new computer at ?

15 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a suped up computer...Like 8-16gb ram, an amazing graphics card, large hard drive (1tb+) etc.

I am going for a PC, not a laptop and pre-built. It doesn't have to have a monitor with it though. I would build one myself, but I don't know much at all about building them and don't want to spend a lot of money if I am going to screw something up.

Any tips would be appreciated

Tiddy-bits:

You should look for local retailers for a prebuilt or small businesses. However if you built one, youd save some money, youtube haa some great pc build tutorials.

Newegg. Don't fall for that Alienware shit. They throw in LEDs to make up for their shit tier builds.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

newegg.com

Just build you own...its cheaper. Just be sure to watch some build tutorials. Newegg has some really good indepth tutorials. They go over pretty much all the ways you can kill a PC during building it, so I would definitely recommend their videos.

I build my first PC just kinda guessing, and it went alright. I built my 2nd pc after watching neweggs tutorials and I felt like a BOSS.

There's nothing to worry about over building your own PC, really! Making sure you have compatible parts is more important, and there are plenty of people here who gladly help others with that. The actual assembly is a piece of cake as long as you have some sense of direction. It's about as difficult as setting up a tent.

See the problem is that I will be at college. I am going for computer science, but I'll be on the web development/software side of things. Though I realize that knowing how computers are made is vital to software engineering, etc. So perhaps it would be a good experience.

I am just worried that I will screw something up. I should have around $2,000 to spend so I'm fine to buy either the parts or a prebuilt.

Newegg is awesome, I've bought two laptops from them.

See the problem is that I will be at college. I am going for computer science, but I'll be on the web development/software side of things. Though I realize that knowing how computers are made is vital to software engineering, etc. So perhaps it would be a good experience.

I am just worried that I will screw something up. I should have around $2,000 to spend so I'm fine to buy either the parts or a prebuilt.

Newegg is awesome, I've bought two laptops from them.

Knowing how computers and made and building them are two different things. Building them is like putting a puzzle together. You just put the pieces in the right place. Knowing how they are made, you're talking about circuitry, the manufacturing process, the logic behind them, etc...

For instance, I can build my crappy computers :D

I have no idea how they work on the electrical level.

Ah, yeah. Being able to assemble a PC isn't really directly related to web dev.

That being said, why narrow yourself down?

The fact that you're going into comp sci shows you're interested enough in computers to begin with. If you're afraid of breaking parts or doing it wrong, I say go ahead and do it anyways. It will work out, you'll know more about computers, you'll have a conversation piece for other comp sci students, and you'll feel satisfied and accomplished at having put it together yourself.

That's my 2¢.

Dante likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0