MXWK

Top VPS providers with effective DDoS protection

Hey guys!

I'm currently renting my VPSs from Vultr, they're quite good in everything but their DDoS protection is an extra $10 per month. They also mention in their Vultr Docs that their DDoS protection works against Layer 3 and Layer 4 attacks not exceeding 10Gbps(they plan on upgrading in the future).  I'm thinking of trying out new VPS providers now for better DDoS protection in terms of affordability & quality. The main goal is to prevent my Halo CE server from being DDoSed. 

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Tiddy-bits:

Posted (edited)

Buyvm has anycast without being ridiculously expensive, there's also OVH that has DDoS protection but no anycast or Dallas region. I haven't tried Buyvm yet though. Buyvm has a Discord too.

If affordability is the main concern Linode doesn't even charge for incoming bandwidth. I don't think OVH does either. As long as you are running one of my iptables firewalls it will indeed prevent reflection so that you don't get any extra charges for outgoing bandwidth even if you get flooded constantly. This is true for any host that doesn't charge for incoming bandwidth. Linode also has an API for their outside/edge firewall so that you can send player ips up to it for whitelisting, but it takes 8 seconds to update and that is enough time for a larger attack to knock out players (most edge firewalls take longer than 8 seconds).

https://github.com/antimomentum/haloce/tree/master/firewalls

You could also use a Linux server as a gateway while the halo server runs at the other end of the tunnel on Windows or Linux or even MacOS since Wireguard works in those OSes. If you do that I would be sure the gateway is in the same region as the real halo server (unless you're doing anycast). So yeah you could have a gateway on Linode with say, a Windows Vultr server behind it running halo.

https://github.com/antimomentum/haloce/tree/master/firewalls/vpngateway

Edited by AntiMomentum
MXWK likes this

The Wireguard VPN setup with Linode and Vultr sounds effective but seems very complicated lol, On the other hand, BuyVM looks very promising and has no complex setup so I think I'll go with that. Thanks! 

AntiMomentum likes this

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, MXWK said:

On the other hand, BuyVM looks very promising and has no complex setup so I think I'll go with that. Thanks! 

np, I would be interested to know how it goes if you end up using anycast with ddos protection from them. This is by far the cheapest anycast provider I've found. AWS charges like $1000 /month for this sort of thing. Cloudflare itself charges $3000/month. There was another host that charges like $50/month for the anycast itself but I forgot what it was, but if BuyVM doesn't work out I'll try and find it again if you want to try it.

As for the gateway it looks intimidating but really it's just a matter of picking the right guided install script for the linux distro OS of the vps, running it, and answering the 3 questions it will prompt you for in order to make configs (firewall and wireguard client files).

Once it's done you copy client1.conf (or client2.conf) file it makes to the Windows server's Wireguard and click Activate. And run ./start.sh on the gateway. This completes both ends of tunnel (Wireguard has a Windows installer)

Granted yeah you could run into issues like getting locked out of ssh or RDP but I don't mind helping out some if needed should you decide to try it. And as usual rebooting the vps will flush my firewall, along with wireguard rules on the gateway should it lock out.

Edited by AntiMomentum
MXWK likes this

8 hours ago, AntiMomentum said:

np, I would be interested to know how it goes if you end up using anycast with ddos protection from them. This is by far the cheapest anycast provider I've found. AWS charges like $1000 /month for this sort of thing. Cloudflare itself charges $3000/month. There was another host that charges like $50/month for the anycast itself but I forgot what it was, but if BuyVM doesn't work out I'll try and find it again if you want to try it.

As for the gateway it looks intimidating but really it's just a matter of picking the right guided install script for the linux distro OS of the vps, running it, and answering the 3 questions it will prompt you for in order to make configs (firewall and wireguard client files).

Once it's done you copy client1.conf (or client2.conf) file it makes to the Windows server's Wireguard and click Activate. And run ./start.sh on the gateway. This completes both ends of tunnel (Wireguard has a Windows installer)

Granted yeah you could run into issues like getting locked out of ssh or RDP but I don't mind helping out some if needed should you decide to try it. And as usual rebooting the vps will flush my firewall, along with wireguard rules on the gateway should it lock out.

I'll let you know how my Halo CE hosting goes with BuyVM, at first I didn't know what anycast is but I just read about it. Seems like the new stuff, like automatic load balancing. It's great that they offer such a feature for free...if things go well, I might just migrate all my VPSs to them. 

Hey, I'd like your opinion on this question I asked a while back. Thanks!

Hey, I just checked and most if not all BuyVM VPSs are out of stock! And it looks like this is a common thing...since there are websites dedicated to letting you know when the stock will be back...

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, MXWK said:

Hey, I'd like your opinion on this question I asked a while back. Thanks!

Hey, I just checked and most if not all BuyVM VPSs are out of stock! And it looks like this is a common thing...since there are websites dedicated to letting you know when the stock will be back...

*edit* Moving my reply to the appropriate post.
As for buyvm being out of stock that's unfortunate. But they are still active from what I see in the Discord so I'd keep checking for availability.

Edited by AntiMomentum
MXWK likes this