Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Am building a new PC in 2022

Tiddy-bits:

I thought I wanted a 5950X for faster video encoding but it turns out that with HEVC it barely uses more than 8 cores. There is a really neat tool (Av1an) which worked the way I thought video encoding had already did but apparently not, that splits a video into parts and dedicates a section to each core for near perfectly linear performance gains and unlimited core count usage so that's a plus.
Other than I haven't found a use for the performance overhead. Unless you needed the cores I'd save a buck and wait for the next gen CPU's since AMD had already proven really good performance gains just by adding their 3D stacked Cache and nothing else to the 5800X3D.
Of course this would mean you'd heave to scrounge for DDR5 which I believe is a bit pricey and rare to get hold of a decent kit.

Takka, Kavawuvi and Sunstriker7 like this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

6 hours ago, ShikuTeshi said:

I thought I wanted a 5950X for faster video encoding but it turns out that with HEVC it barely uses more than 8 cores. There is a really neat tool (Av1an) which worked the way I thought video encoding had already did but apparently not, that splits a video into parts and dedicates a section to each core for near perfectly linear performance gains and unlimited core count usage so that's a plus.
Other than I haven't found a use for the performance overhead. Unless you needed the cores I'd save a buck and wait for the next gen CPU's since AMD had already proven really good performance gains just by adding their 3D stacked Cache and nothing else to the 5800X3D.
Of course this would mean you'd heave to scrounge for DDR5 which I believe is a bit pricey and rare to get hold of a decent kit.

Aaa, this is a good suggestion, but I actually need the threads for faster compile times, as it is essentially more files I can compile at once.

Funny enough, encoding performance, while nice, is not a high priority. If it's good enough to render a high quality 10 minute 1080p 120 FPS video within a few hours while also encoding a decent quality 60 FPS 720p video in real time, I'm OK with that.

Also, the 5800X3D has an MSRP of $449, which is not much less than the current prices of the 5950X (~$540 in my region), so the savings, while nice, are not something I can really use to much benefit. It is also currently sold out everywhere, meaning I'd have to pay a high scalper fee, making the 5950X cheaper right now.

I do agree having higher cache would be great too, but because I do not currently have a PC, waiting is unfortunately not an option, as waiting means more time spent being completely unable to work on my projects.

Pfhunkie likes this

4 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

Aaa, this is a good suggestion, but I actually need the threads for faster compile times, as it is essentially more files I can compile at once.

Funny enough, encoding performance, while nice, is not a high priority. If it's good enough to render a high quality 10 minute 1080p 120 FPS video within a few hours while also encoding a decent quality 60 FPS 720p video in real time, I'm OK with that.

Also, the 5800X3D has an MSRP of $449, which is not much less than the current prices of the 5950X (~$540 in my region), so the savings, while nice, are not something I can really use to much benefit. It is also currently sold out everywhere, meaning I'd have to pay a high scalper fee, making the 5950X cheaper right now.

I do agree having higher cache would be great too, but because I do not currently have a PC, waiting is unfortunately not an option, as waiting means more time spent being completely unable to work on my projects.

Very fair statement. If the performance gains are enticing enough then you could always sell the system.
I also wasn't aware of this today but AMD had conference 2 hours ago about the new CPU's.

LinusTechTips and GamersNexus already have recaps out if those are more to your liking.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

This is a little off-topic but I'm curious why you couldn't bring your PC but can get your parts shipped in still. Seems like a weird choice for customs.

Kavawuvi likes this

3 hours ago, Sunstriker7 said:

This is a little off-topic but I'm curious why you couldn't bring your PC but can get your parts shipped in still. Seems like a weird choice for customs.

It wasn't a customs issue but an "I don't want my PC to be turned into a football by TSA or pay gazillions of dollars to ship it" issue. I kept the SSD in my wallet and kept the graphics card in a canvas bag and brought them on the plane with me.

And frankly, I was looking to replace it anyway. Basically, my old setup involved me using two PCs: one with Linux (Ryzen 5 2600, 32 GB DDR4, RX 580) and one with Windows 10 (Intel Core i7-6700K, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 1070). I found that having only 6 cores and 32 GB of RAM was becoming pretty limiting for my needs, so I needed a core count and RAM upgrade pretty badly.

Pfhunkie and Sunstriker7 like this

Just got the CPU! I went with the Ryzen 9 5950X.

Yes, I know better CPUs are coming out at the end of the year. Unless you expect me to wait with an iPad, you can probably imagine why I would do this so hastily. The IPC improvements do not really justify this wait, either. 

Yes, I know I could just hold out on a 8 core CPU. However, the 5950X actually does not cost that much more and I need the threads for code compilation and possibly virtualization anyway. I may as well get the best possible CPU now even if it will probably be obsolete in a few months.

Yes, I know I could just buy Intel and have an upgrade path and probably better gaming performance, but I would have spent more money on a CPU/motherboard combo that has 25% fewer threads and half the "performance" cores, and considering I am starting with my RX 580, I think it is OK if gaming performance can take a backseat.

I feel like I made the right call here.

Sceny, Takka and Sunstriker7 like this

At least you're willing to justify yourself to the poor choices that you made! :V

The OC council tribunal will remember this when we reach the verdict! >:v

Sceny, Takka and Kavawuvi like this

I'm going to be moving again soon (my current residence was always supposed to be temporary!), so I am considering whether or not to hold off on building the PC.

Things have been going slowly but surely though!

Sunstriker7 and Java like this