Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mouseboyx

lua os.clock() for timing recurring events?

Is it safe to use os.clock() in an lua script for timing a recurring event in a script?

If the server runs constantly will os.clock() have an overflow point?  Could it keep counting seconds or milliseconds similar to the unix timestamp?  Obviously this would be a pain to test, I didn't see information on this through a few google searches.

I have this weapons spawning script where every 30 seconds the weapons are spawned again.  It would make more sense to count the ticks and reset a variable rather than depend on os.clock() so it's easy to fix the problem if there is one, I'm just curious about os.clock() 

I had this script fail, due to an undetermined cause, although I'm unsure whether any of the other scripts were also still working.  The information I could find about os.clock() says that it's mostly used for script benchmarking purposes.

api_version = "1.12.0.0"
items={
        { "weap", "weapons\\sniper rifle\\sniper rifle", 90.899, -159.633, 1.704, 1.587 ,0},
       }
function OnScriptLoad()

register_callback(cb['EVENT_TICK'],"OnTick")
     register_callback(cb["EVENT_GAME_START"], "OnGameStart")

end

function OnGameStart()
    if (items) then
        for i = 1,#items,1 do 
            spawn_object(items[i][1], items[i][2], items[i][3], items[i][4], items[i][5], items[i][6])
            items[i][7]=tonumber(os.clock())+30
        end

end
end

function OnTick()
    time = os.clock()
    for i = 1,#items,1 do 
        if (time>=items[i][7]) then
            spawn_object(items[i][1], items[i][2], items[i][3], items[i][4], items[i][5], items[i][6])
            items[i][7]=tonumber(os.clock())+30
        end
    end
end

Tiddy-bits:

Internally lua uses C's clock() function:

static int os_clock (lua_State *L) {
  lua_pushnumber(L, ((lua_Number)clock())/(lua_Number)CLOCKS_PER_SEC);
  return 1;
}

(lua_Number is typically double)

Script failure aside, cppreference indicates the function should not be used as a wall clock as you desire, because clock() approximates CPU time. Additionally,

The value returned by clock() may wrap around on some non-conforming implementations. For example, on such an implementation, if clock_t is a signed 32-bit integer and CLOCKS_PER_SEC is 1000000, it will wrap after about 2147 seconds (about 36 minutes).

As clock_t and CLOCKS_PER_SEC are implementation-defined, it would be difficult to immediately decide if this the issue you're running into without knowing the specific compiler version and flags used.

Takka and mouseboyx like this