Chalwk

VPS Setup Instructions

This is a step-by-step tutorial that covers the installation of a Ubuntu VPS with Wine and a VNC server for remote connection.
The hosting company that I use in this tutorial is Vultr but will work for other providers as well.

 

Please see this page for the guide.

 

Java, MXWK, Takka and 1 other like this

- I invite you to join my Halo Discord Server.

- Add me on discord: Chalwk#9284

- HSP Repo Wiki (new)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tiddy-bits:

This is a great tutorial for users to begin learning how setup a linux vps.

I will say that VNC being less secure than SSH it would probably be good to add more security to it. Perhaps with a firewall rule to whitelist the ip or ips allowed to the 5901 port. Especially running it as root.

Edited by AntiMomentum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AntiMomentum said:

This is a great tutorial for users to begin learning how setup a linux vps.

I will say that VNC being less secure than SSH it would probably be good to add more security to it. Perhaps with a firewall rule to whitelist the ip or ips allowed to the 5901 port. Especially running it as root.

Pretty sure I covered that with sudo ufw default reject incoming

And then sudo ufw allow from 0.0.0.0 (you will replace 0.0.0.0 with your own ip)

 

Requires that they have a static IP for obvious reasons.

Edited by Chalwk

- I invite you to join my Halo Discord Server.

- Add me on discord: Chalwk#9284

- HSP Repo Wiki (new)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chalwk said:

Pretty sure I covered that with sudo ufw default reject incoming

And then sudo ufw allow from 0.0.0.0 (you will replace 0.0.0.0 with your own ip)

 

Requires that they have a static IP for obvious reasons.


When running the ufw rules in that order on the github the port is open. With 0.0.0.0 replaced with a specific ip address of course. iptables is sequential, and the first ufw rule (ufw allow 5901/tcp) already accepts all for 5901

To whitelist that port for a static ip adress (when used with your other rules) replace this rule:
ufw allow 5901/tcp

with this rule (the ip address here is just an example of course):

ufw allow from 45.56.67.78 proto tcp to any port 5901

On a side note:
ufw default reject incoming

will still send an icmp destination unreachable response back to whatever ip sent the packet. Which can be useful for troubleshooting purposes. However this will just silently drop the packet:

ufw default deny incoming

Edited by AntiMomentum
Java and Takka like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AntiMomentum said:


When running the ufw rules in that order on the github the port is open. With 0.0.0.0 replaced with a specific ip address of course. iptables is sequential, and the first ufw rule (ufw allow 5901/tcp) already accepts all for 5901

To whitelist that port for a static ip adress (when used with your other rules) replace this rule:
ufw allow 5901/tcp

with this rule (the ip address here is just an example of course):

ufw allow from 45.56.67.78 proto tcp to any port 5901

On a side note:
ufw default reject incoming

will still send an icmp destination unreachable response back to whatever ip sent the packet. Which can be useful for troubleshooting purposes. However this will just silently drop the packet:

ufw default deny incoming

 

Many thanks for the feedback. I have made changes accordingly. 

AntiMomentum likes this

- I invite you to join my Halo Discord Server.

- Add me on discord: Chalwk#9284

- HSP Repo Wiki (new)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Atm if you use this guide and utilize Debian 11, kinda stay away from fail2ban. Oddly enough it has been locking up systems without proper tuning

Edited by Java

Have an apple! apple.pngskull.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, your tutorial was very helpful because I just migrated to AWS. I have a question, how can I make halo detect custom maps? When I add my custom maps, the server does not detect them. Is there a way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, gussil said:

Hello, your tutorial was very helpful because I just migrated to AWS. I have a question, how can I make halo detect custom maps? When I add my custom maps, the server does not detect them. Is there a way?

 

Are you using the pre-configured servers mentioned in the guide?

 

Either way, upload your custom maps to the servers ./maps directory.

Then add a new entry in the mapvote.txt (or mapcycle.txt) file. 

 

The format for mapvotes.txt is: map:mode:name:min:max

For example: hangemhigh:TAG-PC:[Hangemhigh TAG]:0:16

The name part is the custom message players will see when a game ends; This does not need to be encapsulated in square brackets, that's just how I like to format it personally. 

 

The format for mapcycle.txt is: map:mode:min:max

For example: hangemhigh:TAG-PC:0:16

 

~ Min/Max are player limits.

 

Note that custom maps made for CE are only compatible with CE servers. Do not upload these to a retail (PC) server.

There are, however, 386 custom maps available for PC on the map repo.

Edited by Chalwk
Denn likes this

- I invite you to join my Halo Discord Server.

- Add me on discord: Chalwk#9284

- HSP Repo Wiki (new)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.