Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Zatarita

TexturesInfo - File Specification

Posted (edited)

Introduction

Hello! My name is Zatarita. I'm sure you've seen me around. I may have made one, or two, posts in this subforum. I had some free time today, so I felt I would delve a bit into some of the sub-files inside of s3dpaks. For those who are unaware. S3dpaks are archive style files that contain game files inside of them. The TexturesInfo file ( if you want to call it a file ( its definitely easier to consider it a file... ) ) is one of these sub-files. For more information on S3dpaks see my write up in the appendix.

DISCLAIMER

I will periodically review this post to add updated information as new discoveries are made; however, all information present here is correct to my current understanding. Some things may be proven incorrect. All that aside, I'm fairly confident in my findings; I have developed working mod tools using this understanding. The TexturesInfo data is fairly straight forward, and I'm certain the information here is complete.

TexturesInfo
    Starting off it might be important to understand what the TexturesInfo data actually does. It's functionality it drastically different for the pc version to the xbox version. In fact, the PC version doesn't even use it at all as far as I can tell. You can just delete it from the s3dpak and move on with your day no problem; however, for the Xbox it's a different story. One of the major differences between PC s3dpaks and Xbox s3dpaks is that the Xbox variant contains the textures needed for the level and all the objects contained with-in. Meaning that each level has it's own copy of each texture. This is rather inefficient which is why, I'm sure, they switched to the Ipak/Imeta system used by PC.

it should be assumed that all information following applies only to the Xbox version of the game.

unknown.png unknown.png

Fig 1. TexturesInfo Entry list (Left) And the corresponding textures inside the s3dpak ( right )

The TexturesInfo is the glossary containing the meta data about the textures contained within the s3dpak. These textures are also files inside the s3dpak. The TexturesInfo files the tells the s3dpak the name, format, dimensions, face count, and mip map count of each of its entries. This again is rather redundant as the texture entry inside of the s3dpak also contains all this information except for the name of the texture. You can see an example s3dpak below with the TexturesInfo data exposed. Notice the file count at the top is significantly different between versions as well. This reflects the presence of textures in the s3dpak ( as well as other file types not present in the pc version, see appendix ) The PC version just contains default values in everything, but still has the texture name present.

unknown.png    unknown.png

Fig 2. Xbox (Left) Compared to PC (Right) TexturesInfo. 

Format

The texture format is a DDS format type. In fact the textures are all just dds textures with the header replaced with a saber specific one. There are a handful of supported formats with the saber engine. In fact the list is quite long. Most of them are completely unused by the halo engine. Some of them may be wrong; however, for the means of MCC; all the ones supported by the engine are represented accurately. Also do note that H2A is in the table as well. This is to reuse the table at a later time. You can ignore that column all-together.

unknown.png

One special note about the table is OXT1/AXT1. These are both DXT1 textures; however, it is believed that the "O" and the "A" stands for Opaque and Alpha respectively. We're not quite sure why they split them up. I believe it's an optimization thing rather than a system limitation; because, regardless of system I still see the split between the two. Something to keep in mind though, as they are both technically just DXT1 blocked compressed textures as far as DDS is concerned.

The Raw Data

The raw data for the textures info is pretty straight forward. One interesting note about this compared to other Saber formats is there is no child count present. Since the string length can vary in length, there actually is no way to access the children randomly. This must be processed as a stream of data. The TexturesInfo follows the string length followed by string text pattern see in other Saber format. Following the string name is the signature "TCIP" which is pict backwards. This is seen again in the h2a pict format ( see appendix ). After the signature, in order ( all 32 bit unsigned integers ) is width ( Purple ), height ( Cyan ), depth ( Green ), face count ( Yellow ), mipmap count ( Browm ), format ( Orange; see above, first item = 0 )

unknown.png    unknown.png

Fig 4. Textures Info ( Left ) Mapped to colors ( Right )

Conclusion

Inside the s3dpaks are many different file types. The TexturesInfo is one of those format types. It contains high level metadata about the textures that the s3dpak house. It is important to note the the textures info file is xbox only, on pc there is only placeholder data present. Many formats are available for the Saber engine; although, only a handful are supported for MCC. It may be important to manually edit this file for modding Xbox files, along with importing the textures that correspond to the entry you're importing. 
    In future updates I will add a reference to SceneData, and s3dpak Texture and TexturesMip64 entries once the pages are made for the formats. Thank you all so much for reading c: and I hope you learned something. If anything seems unclear, do feel free to drop a comment and I will gladly reply when possible.

Appendix

S3dpaks:

H2A Pict format

Edited by Zatarita
Tucker933 likes this

Specifications:

S3dpak - format - Imeta/ipak - format - Fmeta - format

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

Tiddy-bits: