What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Takka

Nip it in the butt, or bud?

Butt vs Bud   13 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you say?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Without looking it up, which version of the phase do you side with? Obviously only one is correct, but most I've asked in person haven't been.. so now I'm really curious.

Spoiler

Nip/nick in the bud is correct; you're stopping something before it advances/gets worse.

Enclusion, Kavawuvi and Sunstriker7 like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

35 minutes ago, Tucker933 said:

Without looking it up, which version of the phase do you side with? Obviously only one is correct, but most I've asked in person haven't been.. so now I'm really curious.

Reveal hidden contents

Nip/nick in the bud is correct; you're stopping something before it advances/gets worse.

IT'S NOT A PHASE DAD! YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

Though I've heard it both. But only buds make sense to me since it sounds like snipping a flower bud.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

Sheesh. If you're going to nip it in the butt, at least take me out to dinner, first.

Anyway, I think the wrong one was the first version I heard, but I later looked it up and found out the right version. 

Sceny and Takka like this

9 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

Reveal hidden contents

In my entire life I've never heard the term "nip it in the butt" used, until now :)

tarikja likes this

Butt must be a country thing lol I'd never heard it until recently. 

Someone at work tried correcting my "bud" to "butt", and so I explained bud, and it blew 4 of 5 peoples minds in the office. They were like "Holy ahit, that makes way more sense!"

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

23 hours ago, Sunstriker7 said:

I've always heard it said bud.

I don't think I've ever used that phrase though because only old people say it.

I resemble that remark you young whippersnapper you!

Sceny, Takka and Sunstriker7 like this

I always thought people meant bite it in the ass, so that's what I always went with. 

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365