What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
RXK1NG

Are We Close To A New "Halo: Custom Edition" Era?

Hey Everyone! Hope you all are having a wonderful day/night!

So, I figured I'd like to get some conversation stirring on the recent developments in the modding scene in terms of the MCC.

As many of you probably know, Season 7 is dropping on June 23rd. And with this Season, we will be getting new CE skins, Elite armors, and most importantly, we will be getting the first set of modding tools, specifically for Halo CE! 

For those of you who havent heard the news yet, 343i has confirmed that we will be getting CE tools this upcoming season. Various sources have confirmed this including 343i Employee Mr Farnication himself, and Sean Swidersky the producer over at 343i studios!

Sean Confirming Tools For Season 7

Farn's input on the tool release

farn1.PNG

farn2.PNG

With all of this exciting information, I ask you guys, what do you think about all of this? Do you think we might get into a golden age of custom edition style halo content again?

Personally, I feel that with CE tools coming out, multiple things will be happening: A: We will be seeing a new refined set of CE tools (hopefully) for a better workflow, and also we will see new people coming to the modding community! B: We will have future tools coming out for the other halo titles, hopefully with each season from here on out, and hopefully to custom edition levels of creativity!

I think a lot of cool custom stuff will be coming to the MCC very soon in the coming months, and I potentially see a new "Custom Edition" type of era coming to Halo, and that is super exciting!

Enclusion and Takka like this

Tiddy-bits:

39 minutes ago, tarikja said:

I believe it when I see it. :v

I'm still waiting for that server browser, you know!

We all are man! I don't know if we'll ever get a true server browser, but we are gonna get a custom game browser for reach this upcoming season!

5 hours ago, RXK1NG said:

We all are man! I don't know if we'll ever get a true server browser, but we are gonna get a custom game browser for reach this upcoming season!

Custom games browser is nothing compares to self hosted servers with extensibility. Good, but still lacking. 

6 hours ago, tarikja said:

I believe it when I see it. :v

I'm still waiting for that server browser, you know!

Agreed. I also don't understand what took so long for the development tools. Why can't they just dump the same ones they use and then over time improve them? Would get to the same place but developers would've had a head start. 

I'm not sure if the tools they'll give us will be that much better than the tools we have right now... if at all.

We're already able to make custom maps that target CEA specifically via Invader. This, to me, just means CEA is now actually supporting custom maps. Which is really all we needed in the end, of course.

I suppose if they give us a means to play with the Saber3D stuff, that may actually be pretty cool for campaign stuff.

We don’t know much though.

Sceny, RXK1NG and Enclusion like this

1 hour ago, tarikja said:

To the surprise of absolutely nobody @Kavawuvi's prediction about the tools being release is accurate. Tool, Guerilla, Sapien, etc took this long to be released rofl. Standalone is kinda cool though, don't do enough modding to know if we already have that in CE.

Edit: BTW don't think I'm being a downer, I'm still absolutely hyped since this will hopefully spark a new wave of modding from people who wouldve never drudge through the internet to find relatively esoteric community tooling. 

Edited by Enclusion
NeX and RXK1NG like this

2 hours ago, Enclusion said:

Tool, Guerilla, Sapien, etc took this long to be released rofl. Standalone is kinda cool though, don't do enough modding to know if we already have that in CE.

But maybe there's something new to it?
Somebody should do same hash and check sum checksums! :v

Enclusion and RXK1NG like this

4 hours ago, Enclusion said:

To the surprise of absolutely nobody @Kavawuvi's prediction about the tools being release is accurate. Tool, Guerilla, Sapien, etc took this long to be released rofl. Standalone is kinda cool though, don't do enough modding to know if we already have that in CE.

Edit: BTW don't think I'm being a downer, I'm still absolutely hyped since this will hopefully spark a new wave of modding from people who wouldve never drudge through the internet to find relatively esoteric community tooling. 

The only thing that surprised me was that they released a complete set of tags. The original HEK was intended to be multiplayer only as they only released enough tags to build multiplayer maps, where this is clearly intended to be used for any kind of map.

Standalone is nice as it is a debug build of the game, thus you may find more useful error reporting in some cases. The HEK did not have this (except through Sapien), so this may be useful. Unfortunately, the audio is totally hosed, so it's not a complete way to test your map.

RXK1NG and Enclusion like this