Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

SullyGerman

Make Halo Combat Evolved (classic) work on Windows 8.1

Old games sometimes require special attention. In my case, I'm blessed by never ending problems, when it comes to installing old games.

It was a grand fight to get Halo Combat Evolved running on my Windows 8.1 OS. (My Laptop specs are at the bottom of this post)

Let's start with what exactly happened, when I started the game:

Absolutely nothing. My screen didn't indicate anything at all. All I could hear was the fan of my Laptop accelerating for a brief moment and that's about it.

How did I fix it:

Basically: Installed Halo Combat Evolved and found a working 1.0.10 patch, while also changing some compatibility stuff.

Details:

Although what I did is working, I'm not sure some steps where necessary. I'm going to list it anyways.

After countless fruitless attempts to make it work, I uninstalled it and then deleted the Halo root folder (found by right-clicking the "Halo" shortcut on your desktop and selecting "Open file location")

I did this to ensure a completely fresh start.

Then I restarted my PC, because I read that somewhere being suggested as a solution. Might have been not necessary, but oh well...

Then I installed the game normally.

-> Still didn't start.

Following might have been unnecessary!

After that I went to Halo's properties (right-click the Halo shortcut on your desktop and select properties at the bottom) and selected the "Compatibility" tab.

I checked "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" in the box below.

Then I went ahead and checked the following in the "Settings" sections right below the "Windows XP (Service Pack3)" box:

Checked "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" [- This might have been very unnecessary, but I was willing to try everything.]

Checked "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" [- This also might have been very unnecessary, but I was willing to try everything.]

Checked "Run this program as an administrator"

Then I hit "Apply" and then "OK" at the bottom of the window.

-> Still didn't start...

Then I tried the various Halo Combat Evolved patches that I downloaded:

One of them said I don't have Halo installed on my PC; and the other one said something along the lines of "Halo has been incorrectly installed, we suggest you reinstall it"

Then I went into Google once more and searched for another patch, because my experience with another old game "Star Wars: Jedi Knight Jedi Academy" told me it's as simple as installing the right patch.

So I found another patch. This time, for some reason, this patch worked!

Patch Link:

https://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/Halo-Combat-Evolved-Patch.shtml

I used the .exe and it actually started the process of updating the game. And lo and behold: Halo finally started!

My specs:

Acer Laptop from 2016 or something... It's old.

Intel Core i3-4000M (2.4 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)

NVIDIA GeForce 820M

8 GB DDR3 L Memory

Windows 8.1

I know, I know... I cry over my specs every day.

I hope this will help someone as desperate as me.

Tucker933 and Iggy like this

Tiddy-bits:

Just in case someone runs into this post looking for an answer on how to get it working and the link provided isn't available anymore, we actually have it hosted here, too

1.0.10 Patch for Halo: Combat Evolved PC

Tucker933 and Vaporeon like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz