What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
mouseboyx

Team Balance Ideas

It seems that no matter the method for balancing teams in a public halo match, someone will inevitably get upset at the change.  Our server has made use of this script:

Which is working very well for the intended purpose.   But we have a few guys who don't really like the next to die method.

I have a few brainstormed ideas about different methods of choosing who to switch based off a few different things.  I believe all these ideas could be made into scripts, but I'm searching for more ways of balancing teams, and more ideas on the subject.  Some of these ideas probably incentivize players in the wrong way during a game to avoid being switched.  I'm also wondering about sapp's /balance_teams command on to whether it will keep a decently even player count on each team?  I would like more ideas, but these are a few:

• Use the same script only choose someone using a pseudo-random number generator rather than the next on the bigger team to die.
  • Same script only next on the bigger team to get a kill
  • Use a random number to decide who switches, except give a message similar to "Please even the teams or someone on the (red|blue) team will be switched over at random" then give a countdown for a decision to be made, if someone switches out of free will, the script doesn't switch anyone.
  • Use the same idea as above except instead of one random player, run the /balance_teams command, if someone switches before that the countdown ends.
  • This next idea is kinda a strange way of doing things.  Determine which team is weaker and which team is stronger based on adding up the K/D ratios of each team (this might be tricky because of lesser numbers to a team while adding).  Then if a switch needs to be made from stronger -> weaker then make an incentive like "Teams are unbalanced the next person to switch will spawn with overshield on their next 3 spawns"  Then do a countdown, if nobody is willing to switch it uses some method to determine who switches then nobody gets the overshield reward for switching if the script switches them.  If a switch needs to be made from weaker -> stronger there is no overshield reward only a method of determining who to switch.
  • Some players will always switch to a stronger team when the opportunity comes to them, for that case (although this seems like a bad idea), the script could disable team switching out of free will, and only the script could control who switches, using some method.

This is where my ideas end for other methods of doing a team balance script, some of these are most likely less fair than the next to die switches script, but finding a method that would be liked by a majority without leaving others who really dislike the method is tricky, and there's bound to be bias in any method. 

Enclusion likes this

Tiddy-bits:

I'd be really pissed if I had been on a server for some length of time and built the team up to a near win only to be switched teams due to auto balance at the last minute being the stronger player.

Also when some players join they join with a friend or friends, switch to the same team and want to continue playing this way - auto balance in this case could and would deter players joining a server with the above ideas in place.

Just an outside the box comment from an ex player and server host.

mouseboyx and Enclusion like this

37 minutes ago, Krazychic said:

I'd be really pissed if I had been on a server for some length of time and built the team up to a near win only to be switched teams due to auto balance at the last minute being the stronger player.

Also when some players join they join with a friend or friends, switch to the same team and want to continue playing this way - auto balance in this case could and would deter players joining a server with the above ideas in place.

Just an outside the box comment from an ex player and server host.

With this in mind, I've seen too many times where teams get stacked to a ridiculous extent, I guess that's part of the game.  I do get that, I was playing a game a bit ago and built up over a long period all the way to finally control the big hill on bloodgulch, with so many attempts I was going crazy, then after the team that was controlling the hill realized they had lost it, they started dropping off like flies, and I was switched to their team via script and rq.  Most of the time the scripted team changes don't bother me, because they keep the game going, but there are for sure instances where it can be a headache.  I would probably say that any weaker/stronger based team switch scripts should be a cumulative weak or strong factor of an entire team rather than any single player.  Like even if you started singling out players in a group with at 1.0 or greater k/d to switch it would probably get messy, I'm not sure what a fair way to do this is, but picking a player at random seems a bit more fair than the next one to die.

Using the built in methods is also fair in a way.  Where there is no script controlling team balance at all, and rely on halo's built in auto team balance where you can't switch from an already lesser team.  It is fair, but there's nothing keeping the teams even other than new players joining, or players who switch in good faith and don't want to see the game end because everyone quits from one team.  Not having auto team balance turned on at all is kinda crazy, I've had the instance happen where I was the only player on a team, and every other player had switched to red in a bloodgulch ctf match.  I need to do some real testing with sapp's  /balance_teams  command, as I don't know how it functions to improve the situation of stacked teams.

Krazychic likes this

I'm also wondering about sapp's /balance_teams command on to whether it will keep a decently even player count on each team?

A form of balancing that wouldn't require swapping people, at least not very often, would be to prevent teams that are performing exceptionally well from getting new people on their team. 

For example, in a server where one team has 5 average players while the other has 2 exceptional players + 3 average players when new players join they would not be able to join the team with great players even if it makes it unbalanced. You'd have to figure out how to know how many players to stack the other team with but I think it's a possible solution. 

Any thoughts? Also, I can clarify what I mean with necessary since I'm writing this at work. 

mouseboyx and Krazychic like this

52 minutes ago, Enclusion said:

A form of balancing that wouldn't require swapping people, at least not very often, would be to prevent teams that are performing exceptionally well from getting new people on their team. 

For example, in a server where one team has 5 average players while the other has 2 exceptional players + 3 average players when new players join they would not be able to join the team with great players even if it makes it unbalanced. You'd have to figure out how to know how many players to stack the other team with but I think it's a possible solution. 

Any thoughts? Also, I can clarify what I mean with necessary since I'm writing this at work. 

Yes!!!  So many times when my team has been the underdog the next new player joins on the stronger team. I would swap teams if I joined to make it fair but some prefer the win over quality of game.

Could a script take into account the accumulating kills for each team to determine what team they would spawn in on? and How would this affect seeded servers and AFK players?

Enclusion likes this

In instances I've seen several known cheaters will gang up on one team, usually red it seems.

I've seen players switch when the teams are obviously uneven I'll let it go.

If there's no obvious need to switch I'll switch the player back, if they persist I'll kick them.

Truth to tell though, I've played little or not at all recently.