Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Chalwk

Known Pirated Hashes

16 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

9 minutes ago, Sunstriker7 said:

Booo!

Pretty sure about 80% of players are using pirated copies. Legit copies are difficult to come by, and I don't really see a point in pirate-shaming on this old unmaintained game.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

splashdown.png

Guide to Balanced Gameplay

I really mean the original sellouts.

I just wish they would patch it out.

Tucker933 likes this

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

28 minutes ago, Chalwk said:

I have found many uses with this information. One of which relates to my custom alias system; When you query someone's hash it'll also tell you whether it's legit or not.

It's difficult to determine who's who when a hash has so many names registered to it. 

If it's pirated and there are 100s of names linked to it, then you'd better IP-Alias that person instead.

If it's not pirated then you can be sure the names linked to it are unique to that player only.

I don't know how many times I've had people comment on the vast numbers of names linked to a given hash and not understand that not all of them are unique to that specific player. 

~ edit:

Furthermore, if you know someone's hash is legitimate, then you can probably hash-ban that player instead of IP Ban. You obviously do not want to ban a pirated hash otherwise all clients that use it will also be subsequently banned. I am not shaming anyone. I am doing productive things with this information. I hope other people can find uses for it too.

How does this work with the Chimera mod which randomizes the hash? Is this a different hash or does that essentially just nullify this?

9 minutes ago, Enclusion said:

How does this work with the Chimera mod which randomizes the hash? Is this a different hash or does that essentially just nullify this?

Alias System will think it's legit, unfortunately. SAPP itself seems to be able to make a distinction. I tried changing my hash to a known hash that had V1 privileges on another server and SAPP knew it was fake; Full disclosure, this was of course, for testing purposes. Te-He!

Edited by Chalwk
Enclusion likes this

Add me on discord: Chalwk#9284

6 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

I don't really see a point in pirate-shaming on this old unmaintained game.

As long as the honest reason was because copies were unavailable, sure. But sometimes there are... other motivations.

Can confirm that an inexperienced admin caused a huge headache once when he banned a pirate by hash which of coarse unknowingly banned a massive amount of other people. It was only caught because it was a popular server with a Discord backing it. How many random public servers unknowingly killed themselves by doing the same?

32 minutes ago, DSalimander said:

As long as the honest reason was because copies were unavailable, sure. But sometimes there are... other motivations.

Can confirm that an inexperienced admin caused a huge headache once when he banned a pirate by hash which of coarse unknowingly banned a massive amount of other people. It was only caught because it was a popular server with a Discord backing it. How many random public servers unknowingly killed themselves by doing the same?

I did this once a few months ago by accident to my server lmao. I was using aimbot_ban but with hash rather than IP. Half the players in the server got banned right away xD

Edited by AntiMomentum

1 hour ago, AntiMomentum said:

I did this once a few months ago by accident to my server lmao. I was using aimbot_ban but with hash rather than IP. Half the players in the server got banned right away xD

Are cheaters common? I have been hosting a server for a while and 99% of the time it only has players when I am on long enough to get people to join. I have yet to encounter an aimbotter after quite some time operating.