Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShikuTeshi

AdGuard (for Android)

small-card.jpg

Because Ads are an invasive security risk. Also targeted and repetitive.

Let me begin with saying that AdGuard has services for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, a web browser extension, and a VPN. I am only covering my experience with AdGuard for Android and am aware that the experience is very lacking on iOS.

What is AdGuard? 

The name itself may be pretty apparent but AdGuard is a paid ad-blocking service. NOW WAIT. I know a paid ad-blocking service sounds terrible as you can just use a free browser extension on PC such as uBlock or find a mobile browser with such a feature already. And if I'm going to be blunt with you then AdGuard for anything outside of Android is practically useless by which the method it does this in. The best part? You don't even need to have root access.

Adguard creates a local VPN network on your device that will filter out incoming Ad domains on your device before the app gets any ad related data. This means that not only does it work in a browser but globally across your Android device within any app like games. This means that if you like using Chrome for Android for the data syncing features then you can use it without ads regardless of its lack of extensions. This also means you're protected from pop-ups from the multitude of shitty websites, f2p games, or infectious apps that hide themselves and run ads on your phone all day long. (although it won't remove said infectious apps)

But AdGuard does a little bit more. While it's already creating a 'VPN' it will allow you to set a custom DNS, block trackers, block known malicious websites and coin miners, block the multitude of social media follow buttons, and allows all of this and some more to be a customized experience. Working for both Wi-fi and Mobile data experiences.

Screenshots of some settings posted to Imgur (because they're rather large vertical resolution)

However 

AdGuard isn't a perfect experience. Some apps and browsers block the use of a VPN which renders AdGuard useless. And not all ads get filtered such as playing music for free through Spotify or videos on YouTube. Sometimes they will but the mobile platform doesn't have the inspecting capabilities of a desktop browser so they're not immediately updated. AdGuard uses it's own compiled list and publicly available list of domains (which can be toggled on) to block incoming ads and extras. If you really wanted to then you could turn them all on.

iOS on the other hand only works with the Safari browser as Apple has banned the use of local VPN's. Likely in regards to potential security risk of such a method intercepting your data and sending it off somewhere else. I haven't personally verified any suspicious network activities but at the very least my accounts haven't been stolen these past 2 years.

If this is of any interest to you then feel free to check it out. https://adguard.com/en/license.html
The license is shared across all platforms but the VPN is a different product.
Keep in mind that they offer monthly and lifetime licenses. My suggestion is to just grab a lifetime license if you rock an Android.

Tucker933 and Pfhunkie like this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"Go for the balls!" -ShikuTeshi 2020

Tiddy-bits: