Zatarita

Tex Mod - Custom textures

11 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

Whew. That's a lot of work if I wanted to AI upscale a single texture. I'd be more than happy to do the texture work but maybe not the rest of it.
Also curious if 343 modified the Blam engine in any way to accept the newer BC7 format. And if it's the same as Halo 1 where the game apparently carries the uncompressed textures.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

21 minutes ago, ShikuTeshi said:

Whew. That's a lot of work if I wanted to AI upscale a single texture. I'd be more than happy to do the texture work but maybe not the rest of it.
Also curious if 343 modified the Blam engine in any way to accept the newer BC7 format. And if it's the same as Halo 1 where the game apparently carries the uncompressed textures.

It'll get easier once I figure out what's wrong with overwriting textures. It's just tough now cause we need to create a new texture and link it to the template.

Once I fix over writing it should be just load, import, save Imeta, save ipak.

As far as newer textures, I only see support for:

Dxt1/3/5, argb/xrgb8888 (meaning light maps need to be covered from 16 bit), ati1/ati2, and ai88(greyscale)

Specifications:

S3dpak - format - Imeta/ipak - format - Fmeta - format

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

Neat. Looking forward to it.
I guess a good question is if you've tried importing an uncompressed texture? It's definitely not an ideal option in any means but I don't think it would hurt that badly if possible. I'll probably follow Skyrim modding logic and not compress normals if it ever gets to that point.

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????

What do you mean by uncompressed?

The Texture its self is just a headless dds. If you're talking about block compression it does support argb8888 which doesn't have block compression.

The ipak is compressed with zlib, so you COULD compress with 0 compression level. Which would basically look uncompressed with some bloat

Specifications:

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

OSgrHBs.png
Just not using any level of DXT or otherwise.
And I can't explicitly say due to ToS at this time but I can probably alleviate compression elements.
I forgot people mentioned that most texture data in MCC has been modernized and kept it it's own shared file.
Sherry and Moses (I think he's left the modding scene?) would have the best information on this since they did pull said uncompressed textures out of Halo PC. I don't know how that works but I imagine the engine just compresses and delivers the textures itself hence the reason it retained the uncompressed versions. I was just hoping that the method wasn't changed in MCC and they just moved them to a new file 'zip' like archive and the uncompressed data is in there somewhere.

I don't think I understand. It's possible they convert the dds textures to easier to use formats, but these textures are uncompressed. If you add the right header to the file you get texture, no extra tweaking needed. As far as compression goes, they already have the formatting applied. It's not just raw rbga channels like a bitmap (except argb/xrgb.)

Specifications:

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

Hm. I guess I'll understand after I play with it then. 

UPDATE:
Fixed load from dds. May still be slightly buggy. (see original post for updated example. Thank you s3 for letting me use your golden gun) This should maintain bump maps and such for the texture that otherwise wouldn't be referenced correctly with a new texture name.
Fixed crash on canceling save/load

Fixed export function to actually let you designate a location and name.

Fixed autofilling file name

known bugs:
Old data still wont clear when you load new data. For some reason it wont clear the list.

Edited by Zatarita
Takka and ShikuTeshi like this

Specifications:

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP