Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Update: Another update on Lua and a FAQ

Tiddy-bits:

I have a question. Will the Lua library be static-linked? I found a bug related to this in the -5xx API while I was trying to require a DLL library from a script, I got a "Multiple VMs" error.

Whatever, good job! can't wait for it.

MrChromed likes this

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I have a question. Will the Lua library be static-linked? I found a bug related to this in the -5xx API while I was trying to require a DLL library from a script, I got a "Multiple VMs" error.

Whatever, good job! can't wait for it.

Chimera is distributed as a single .DLL because it's the least likely to be screwed up when installing.

Let's just say that, throughout my days of making these kinds of mods, I've seen a lot of people fail to follow simple directions in the most spectacular of ways (though I'm... uh... not saying I've never messed up simple directions, myself, before O-O). For example, one of the ways people commonly mess their install up is by only partially updating something. That is, they replace a file with a new file, but that file requires a new version of another file, except they didn't update the other file. Of course, I'm don't think Lua is susceptible to this since the DLLs are named lua52, lua53, lua54, etc., but hey, better safe than sorry.

So, at this current point in time, the official builds I put out will probably be static linked. You're certainly free to choose not to static link, of course, and this may be useful for having Lua scripts load DLLs that depend on the same Lua DLL (since you won't load the same exact Lua DLL twice).

Jerry, ST34MF0X and Sunstriker7 like this

16 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

Chimera is distributed as a single .DLL because it's the least likely to be screwed up when installing.

Let's just say that, throughout my days of making these kinds of mods, I've seen a lot of people fail to follow simple directions in the most spectacular of ways (though I'm... uh... not saying I've never messed up simple directions, myself, before O-O). For example, one of the ways people commonly mess their install up is by only partially updating something. That is, they replace a file with a new file, but that file requires a new version of another file, except they didn't update the other file. Of course, I'm don't think Lua is susceptible to this since the DLLs are named lua52, lua53, lua54, etc., but hey, better safe than sorry.

So, at this current point in time, the official builds I put out will probably be static linked. You're certainly free to choose not to static link, of course, and this may be useful for having Lua scripts load DLLs that depend on the same Lua DLL (since you won't load the same exact Lua DLL twice).

Well, you're right, there are a lot of people who keep forgetting the ini file haha, so yeah, keeping everything in one DLL is the best way.

PS: If I'm not wrong, I found a way to fix it without having to use the Lua dynamic library, maybe I'll release a "pack" with some useful Lua libraries fixed to work with the Chimera's built-in Lua VM.

Edited by Jerry
Sunstriker7, MrChromed and Java like this