Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Update: HAC2 and OS support?

From the Chimera Discord:

I've been thinking about this for the past few months or so, and I'm considering reinstating support for HAC2 and Open Sauce.

The reason for this is obvious. A large number of people require HAC2 or Open Sauce, as there are some features Chimera will never have (e.g. HUD colors, Reach chat, Optic, etc.) that will are present in these. To work around this issue, people keep recommending old versions of Chimera, and these builds have a large number of issues that have long since been fixed in newer Chimera. Many of these issues are reported to me on what has been, at times, a weekly basis, and the people who actually maintain forks of these builds are unwilling to fix them.

Note that suppoorting these mods will mean that, if you have these mods present, a small number of features will be disabled in order for the mods to not take a massive shit when Chimera is loaded.

For HAC2, these are the features that will have to be disabled:

• Custom Edition map support in retail
  • Custom Edition server joining in retail
  • Fast loading
  • Compressed maps
  • Map downloading
  • Custom chat
  • Limit increase
  • FoV fix
  • Chimera commands in init.txt
  • Hotkeys
  • Video settings (chimera.ini)
  • chimera_allow_all_passengers
  • chimera_block_zoom_blur
  • chimera_bookmark_connect
  • chimera_bookmark_list
  • chimera_fov
  • chimera_fov_cinematic
  • chimera_fov_vehicle
  • chimera_spectate
  • chimera_widescreen_fix

For Open Sauce, these are the features that will have to be disabled:

• Fast loading
  • Compressed maps
  • Map downloading
  • Limit increase
  • Hotkeys
  • chimera_fov
  • chimera_fov_cinematic
  • chimera_fov_vehicle
  • chimera_history_connect
  • chimera_history_list
  • chimera_widescreen_fix

A number of these features are disabled because the mod implements the feature already (e.g. spectating can be disabled because HAC2 has sightjacking, FoV and widescreen fix can be disabled because OS and HAC2 implement them, etc.) thus they would be in conflict if you were to enable both at the same time.

This does mean that it'll take considerably more time to work on Chimera, but since I've just graduated from college, it isn't immediately that big of a deal for now (though I'm currently in the process of getting employment).

tl;dr - HAC2 and OS support might be returning. It isn't without any caveats, but I'll try my best to make sure it isn't too much of a drawback for having Chimera installed alongside another mod.

Tucker933, Sunstriker7 and aLTis like this

Tiddy-bits:

Do you wish you never added support for HAC2 and OS? Establishing precedent really dicked you.

Vaporeon likes this

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

2 hours ago, Sunstriker7 said:

Do you wish you never added support for HAC2 and OS? Establishing precedent really dicked you.

I suppose I had to do it originally because my mod was brand new and didn't really have that many features. Chimera probably wouldn't have gotten as big as it did without the initial support.

But later down the line, I dropped that stuff because, to do what I wanted to accomplish, I had to. The game is messed up and neither mods' developers really care about fixing these issues on Halo PC. Many of these issues cannot be fixed without some sort of compromise if you expect these mods to work, and I don't find that acceptable.

Also, the features I've implemented that are more-or-less have equivalents to HAC2 or OS are often times better. For example, my widescreen fix pretty much outclasses both of them, and I outlined it here (though my widescreen fix has improved even since then):

But nevertheless, people want to use features like the Reach chat, or they want to open OS maps. That's understandable, though the version of Chimera they have to use has a number of problems. For example, the interpolation crash issue is present, even on Michelle's -581 (though much less severe thanks to Michelle's work on that). There are also a number of fixes added to the new Chimera.

In all honesty, what I want is different from what most people want. Most people seem to just want Custom Edition with extra features being added on top. However, I want a game that's not broken - Halo PC the way it should've been released. Both are fine, but unfortunately, these goals are mutually exclusive due to people's maps being made for the broken game rather than a more fixed game, and I've gotten a number of complaints from that on Discord, including a rant that's about half a page long about why I shouldn't fix things.

So, yeah, in all honesty, precedence has dicked with my projects and me in more ways than one. As soon as I'm done with Chimera, it's probably just going to be Invader all the way that I'll be working on. It's a lot less limiting and a lot less stressful overall.

Sunstriker7 and ST34MF0X like this