Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Enclusion

Porting map to Unity?

Posted (edited)

Hello!

Recently a game made in unity came out on steam called Fragsurf which is essentially a surfing (source engine style) dedicated game. I want to port yoyorast island to unity and convert it. What tools would be useful to convert a maps scenery out? I don't have any real experience doing this sort of thing in halo 1.

Edited by Enclusion

Tiddy-bits:

Well, I don't imagine anyone wrote any tools specifically designed to port Halo maps to Unity, but you might be able to extract vertices from the gbxmodel/scenario_structure_bsp tags in the map and convert them into a mesh that is in some Unity-compatible format.

Enclusion likes this

Unity supports .obj and basically any texture format you'd want to use to go along with it. it'd take minutes to get it into unity.

WaeV and Enclusion like this

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

Posted (edited)

It might be a bunch of steps; however, I know sparkedit has an export to obj function.

Convert the map to pc, open it in spark edit, extract the obj, get the materials from the map, assign the materials to the object (I dunno if sparkedit exports correct Uvw mapping, if not fix the mapping in your tool of choice) profit.

If you’re talking literal scenery (eg rocks trees) there are gbxmodel importers, or I believe some tools can export to obj.

It might be an interesting test for invader. Try extracting the tags, and  building with invader for pc.

If you’re looking to publicly release the converted map, it’s polite to ask the original creator if you can (it might be difficult now, at least credit)

*note* there might be extra work you will have to do in unity. You might have to fix some things depending on what was used to build the map originally. If tool compiled the map with warnings, and it’s playable in engine, it might not be completely Correct in unity

Edited by Zatarita

Specifications:

S3dpak - format - Imeta/ipak - format - Fmeta - format

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

I know @aLTis ported maps into VRChat which uses Unity

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz