Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

EST. 14th of February, 2012

DevCysera

Help Needed Badly *Issues with fps and maps flickering*

Hello, I've been trying to get my FPS to a steady 60 and they jump from 27 to 60 and all the way down to 10 at times when I look in different directions. Also when I look too fast the maps flicker for some reason. Could someone help with this issue? Please and thank you very much!

Tiddy-bits:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2300 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    5.91 GB
Available Physical Memory    3.58 GB
Total Virtual Memory    11.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory    8.93 GB

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Operating System:        Windows 7  Service Pack 1(6.1.7601)
DirectX* Version:        10.1
Physical Memory:        6051 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory:    64 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory:    1696 MB
Graphics Memory in Use:        397 MB
Processor:            Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Speed:        2294 MHz

Your computer, dumpy as it is, is more than enough for Halo. First place to start is your graphics drivers, as usual. Make sure you have the latest driver installed. If you recently updated it, try a prior version.

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Intel integrated graphics are not and never have been for video games. It is a common misconception that when games get old they can run on "Anything" but is not always true.

Those specifications are not enough to run Halo at high stable frame rates, the graphics memory bandwidth is jut not enough for it for one. You would be much better off with some cheap used *gaming* GPU over using that. Even something like an Nvidia 560.

Kavawuvi likes this

Also don't utilize graphic enhancement replacement/addons. 

What Vaporeon says is true, yes it is capable but the engine wasn't really programmed around I GPUs

Have an apple! apple.pngskull.png

EDIT: it might not help with 60 fps, but I’m going to leave it in case others find useful

You can also try to use some of the arguments for executing halo.

If you right click the short cut you can add arguments at the end. There are a few that impact graphics.

Excerpt from http://haloce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=309

-Use20 
Forces the game to run as a Shader 2.0 card. This shows all graphical effects in the best possible visual quality. You will need a recent graphics card with full PS2.0 support such as the Radeon 9500 series or higher, or the FX 5600 series or higher. PS2.0 gives the biggest performance hit but runs Halo exactly as the developers intended it to be seen. 

-Use14 
Forces the game to run as a Shader 1.4 card. If you have a relatively new graphics card such as those mentioned above, then forcing PS1.4 mode on them will improve performance at the cost of some visual elements, namely: 
- No bumped mirrored surfaces 
- Some video effects are two-pass 

This doesn't reduce visual quality greatly and can improve performance, particularly on lower end recent cards. Obviously if your card only supports PS1.4 at the most, it will already be running in this mode. 

-Use11 
Forces the game to run as a Shader 1.1 card. Once again, forcing this lower Pixel Shader mode on cards which support PS1.4 or PS2.0 will improve performance at the cost of the following elements: 
- No bumped mirrored surfaces 
- Some video effects are two-pass 
- No model self-illumination (excluding some specific environmental models) 
- No animated lightmaps 
- Fog calculations are triangle based, not pixel based 
- No specular lights 

This can significantly improve performance on such cards, but older cards will likely already be running with such effects removed. 

-UseFF 
Forces the game to run as a fixed function card. This means that that regardless of your graphics card's capabilities, the game will run with the most basic effects. Along with the PS1.1 effects disabled above, this results in the removal of the following elements: 
- No shadows 
- Simple active camouflage effect 
- No glows or flares 
- Very basic fog, water and lighting 

This can provide a significant performance improvement, however it is obviously at the cost of visual quality and effects. Older graphics cards (such as GeForce2 series) will likely be running under this mode anyway. If you really crave a performance improvement use this switch. I recommend that you only experiment with the above switches if you've tried most of the other tweaks in this guide. If you have an older or less powerful graphics card, it is already likely to be running in PS1.1 or Fixed Function mode anyway, so these switches are only really useful for those with cards which support PS2.0 or PS1.4 but who require a boost by forcing the card to run a lower mode.

Tucker933 likes this