Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

Enclusion

Beginner Tutorial for Creating a Halo CE Server w/ SAPP

I decided to create a beginner video to help people in the future with getting some basic things set up with SAPP. If anyone thinks other things should be covered let me know as I'd love to make some more videos. At some point I will probably redo this video but for now it seems decent for walking someone through the process of hosting a server on a new windows machine.

Tucker933 likes this

Tiddy-bits:

Awesome stuff dude; thanks for putting the time in and sharing it!

Pinned.

Enclusion likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.          

16 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

Awesome stuff dude; thanks for putting the time in and sharing it!

Pinned.

Glad to do it. Tutorial will probably be redone at some point since it wasn't too polished but better than many. 

If there is any other halo CE related things you think needs a modern tutorial let me know. 

Posted (edited)

Honestly, as a noob to this...and to a point a feel a bit embarrased about admitting to that because I knew the basics (before SAPP) very well about 13 years ago...

These are the videos I'd like to see:

• How to install & enable SAPP for Halo/Halo CE (keep in mind, a lot of people manage MULTIPLE servers...in your original video, you illustrated how to make a batch file to start one server.  Being able to start/stop all at once via script would be nice.
  • Adding Scripting functionality: How to / What for? / What has been its common usage?
  • How to use SAPP or how SAPP can be used in place of INIT commands not available for Halo (in otherwords, INIT commands only available for Halo CE), what are the text files in the SAPP folder for, and basically where to use and how to use the commands in the SAPP document (mainly on pages 11-22 / 28-39).  I have a few specific questions regarding these page ranges:
    • Add/Remove Admins,  RCON vs SAPPRCON (Advantages/Disadvantages, most practical uses)
    • What do these files do: users.txt, locations.txt, areas.txt (Server Folder\sapp folder) ?  Maybe just have some examples already done and show how you've made use of it.
    • What do these files do: commands.txt, init.txt, events.txt, mapcycle.txt, mapvotes.txt (SAPP folder in the same folder as SAVEGAMES) ?  Maybe just have some examples already done and show how you've made use of it.
    • How do you set up & make use of Remote Management ?
Edited by CartmansPieHole

Posted (edited)

Hello, first of all thank you for the tutorial as it was very straight forward :) I'm having trouble with a few things but I was mainly wondering if there is a way to check to see if the server is public or not. I can't find it in the game lobby when searching. Of course I can join my game via Direct IP. I can message you my discord once OpenCarnage enables me to. Thanks again!

Edit - Ok, so I 'fixed' my problem. I've been readjusting the Server Port and Client Port and it works for the duration of the server running. I don't know where the right place is to ask my further questions.

1.) I'm wondering how I can edit the starting equipped weapons (so it is assault rifle only) and starting grenade counts (to 4 frag and 4 plasma). I've already tried the grenade_capacity.lua file in the forum.

2.) Edit - SOLVED, using Flare [Another issue is the 'Time Limit' and 'Captures to Win' settings edited in 'Edit Gametypes' do not properly adjust the settings. Setting 'Time Limit' to 'None' in practice sets it to 15 minutes and setting it to 45 minutes sets it to 25 minutes. Also 'Captures to Win' is stuck at 1 when set to 5 or 15 flags.]

Edited by MrBiggun

Posted (edited)

Hey, thanks! That worked to fix 'Time Limit' and 'Captures to Win'. Do you know how to edit starting equipped items/ grenades?

Edited by MrBiggun