Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

CartmansPieHole

Noob question: Where do I start?

11 posts in this topic

I haven't run a Halo server in several years, before SAPP, Phasor or anything that's been put out.  I want to use SAPP but I don't know where to really begin on it.  Yes, I downloaded the PC file and installed that and yes I looked at the documentation.  Aside from all that, I don't really understand what files I need to put together to make SAPP work or what additional directories I may need for scripts.  Plus, I wouldn't really understand what to put in the files.  Can someone help me?

Tiddy-bits:

What OS are you hosting on? If windows I can help you get a basic setup, just post your discord.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:43 AM, CartmansPieHole said:

I haven't run a Halo server in several years, before SAPP, Phasor or anything that's been put out.  I want to use SAPP but I don't know where to really begin on it.  Yes, I downloaded the PC file and installed that and yes I looked at the documentation.  Aside from all that, I don't really understand what files I need to put together to make SAPP work or what additional directories I may need for scripts.  Plus, I wouldn't really understand what to put in the files.  Can someone help me?

I decided to make a basic tutorial for getting a good setup (windows, easily done on linux by just using wine). 

Tucker933 likes this

Posted (edited)

On 4/25/2020 at 9:47 PM, Enclusion said:

I decided to make a basic tutorial for getting a good setup (windows, easily done on linux by just using wine). 

EDIT:  Take a look at my comments here as well, I think they're a little bit more thought out:  

I finally got access to a server yesterday and actually did set up two Halo: Combat Evolved servers on it.  I'd already figured out how to set up SAPP and got it actually running.  That was pretty easy.  Beyond that, I'm honestly kinda lost.

I noticed in my servers, I don't have a "lua" subfolder, so I guess I need to manually create one, correct?  Forgive me if I missed that part of the video.

I did watch your video and I at least understand how to run scripts, now.  Can I request a few more videos or maybe just throw it into one?  Here's a list of what I'm looking for:

• Server Message on Chat when player enters:  I'm setting up Halo servers, not Halo CE.  Halo servers don't have a fancy intro screen and also don't have the MOTD part, to which I'm sure you're aware of.  To compensate for this, I'd like to use a script for the information to appear in the chat.
  • Can you explain what the purpose is of all of the text files are in the SAPP folder and just kind of basically what to put in them? Mine has Admins.txt, areas.txt, ipbans.txt, locations.txt and users.txt.
  • How can I display messages based on events?  Say "<PlayerName> will be kicked for having the ping of <Player's Ping>" or send a message to the individual player's chat window "<Player Name> watch your language!"
  • How to enable chat logging and where would I go for the log files?
  • Is there a difference between the server RCON abilities and SAPP Rcon abilities?  (If possible), how do I add/remove admins?  Does it have to be done manually?  Can admins have custom passwords?  Are admins passwords protected or displayed as plain text in a file?

I feel like some of my questions may be answered if I just understand what lua scripts are out there vs what SAPP can do.  Would be nice if SAPP's documentation would just simply say "this set commands go in <blahblah>.txt" and gave examples.

I watched your video on Chimera as well just because I had no idea what it was, it doesn't look like I'll be using it anyways because it only works on Halo Custom Edition.  The volume on it was a little low, though.

Edited by CartmansPieHole

Server Message on Chat when player enters:  I'm setting up Halo servers, not Halo CE.  Halo servers don't have a fancy intro screen and also don't have the MOTD part, to which I'm sure you're aware of.  To compensate for this, I'd like to use a script for the information to appear in the chat.

You can use events to do this quite easily. 

Can you explain what the purpose is of all of the text files are in the SAPP folder and just kind of basically what to put in them? Mine has Admins.txt, areas.txt, ipbans.txt, locations.txt and users.txt.

These files mainly store data that is created in game with commands. In most cases you won't need to edit this stuff.

Admins: Holds information regarding to who has admin access using ingame commands (prefix commands with '/'). Admin management can be found on page 32 of the SAPP documentation which I believe you have. That will show the the commands to add admins.

Areas: Areas related commands are found on page 33 of the documentation. You are able to use coordinates to create a region and later use that information for events, scripting, etc. Areas.txt simply holds all of the data on area bounds. 

IPBans: Banned ips stored here.

Locations: Similar to areas these are specific coordinate points on the map that you can name and teleport to or use in events/scripts. Here is an example of what your file would look like after adding locations (commands on page 34 of documentation)

bloodgulch:red_base:95.57 -157.44 1.70
bloodgulch:blue_base:40.05 -80.95 1.70
bloodgulch:flamethrower:106.41 -108.71 2.92
bloodgulch:blue_cave:69.63 -88.21 5.65
bloodgulch:red_cave:98.87 -108.78 4.33
bloodgulch:red_cliff:61.87 -157.80 5.73
bloodgulch:red_upperCliff:104.39 -185.24 12.68

Users: Can't remember what is stored in this file.

How can I display messages based on events?  Say "<PlayerName> will be kicked for having the ping of <Player's Ping>" or send a message to the individual player's chat window "<Player Name> watch your language!"

There are multiple ways of doing some of this stuff so it will be up to you. What I know for certain is you can use conditional events and send messages when a player reaches a certain threshold and kick once they go too high. I can probably look into the best way of doing this or someone else here can help but in the meantime look at the documentation regarding events.

How to enable chat logging and where would I go for the log files?

It is pretty easy to do basic logging but thats for halo custom edition. For you you'll probably need to use a script. Here is one I found: https://github.com/Chalwk77/HALO-SCRIPT-PROJECTS/blob/master/SAPP SCRIPTS/UTILITY MODS/Advanced Server Logging.lua

Tucker933 likes this

@Enclusion

I actually figured out how to do the sever message from another thread, I started just looking at every thread just to see if I could start trying to piece something together.

I was playing around with a bad words filter (lua script) and i tried to enable it based on your video.  For some reason, I was unable to join my server.  I then tried replacing the existing INIT text file in the SAPP folder with the one i was using.  That didn't work, either. What I ended up doing, was initializing and calling the lua files from the second init.txt file (the init file in the same directory as events/mapcycle/mapvotes/commands/events), and just leaving the rest of the init commands in the main init file.  Not sure why I had to separate them, very odd.

I'm actually looking for a script to rename players to random names in a list, based on date.  I posted this here:  

20 hours ago, CartmansPieHole said:

@Enclusion

I actually figured out how to do the sever message from another thread, I started just looking at every thread just to see if I could start trying to piece something together.

I was playing around with a bad words filter (lua script) and i tried to enable it based on your video.  For some reason, I was unable to join my server.  I then tried replacing the existing INIT text file in the SAPP folder with the one i was using.  That didn't work, either. What I ended up doing, was initializing and calling the lua files from the second init.txt file (the init file in the same directory as events/mapcycle/mapvotes/commands/events), and just leaving the rest of the init commands in the main init file.  Not sure why I had to separate them, very odd.

I'm actually looking for a script to rename players to random names in a list, based on date.  I posted this here:  

Glad you got some stuff working.

I don't have much experience with lua and no experience doing scripting for SAPP so I wish I could help. Not even sure how to change peoples name from LUA (gotta mess with memory? Not sure) so hopefully someone can help you.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Enclusion said:

Glad you got some stuff working.

I don't have much experience with lua and no experience doing scripting for SAPP so I wish I could help. Not even sure how to change peoples name from LUA (gotta mess with memory? Not sure) so hopefully someone can help you.

I feel like I can probably figure out a way to make such a script work if I can at least get the initial part it it done, that is...figure out the name changing part.  It's been awhile, but I used to be decent in programming and so I'd have to relearn a lot.

Edited by CartmansPieHole

With regards to a naming script, I've actually made pretty good headway.   I've got it to do what I want it to do, now I'm looking into error checking, or in this case, checking to see if a player name already exists.  I have a players.txt file where I currently store a list of player's names (their new names), and want to search those names and not add names to my holiday names table if they already exist.  I've updated the contents of that topic, to which is already linked above.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:47 PM, Enclusion said:

How to make those Lua Scripts running on a dedicated server? since the server runs the haloceded.exe instead of the run.bat file