What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Kavawuvi

Chimera Questions & Suggestions

151 posts in this topic

If you're indecisive about fully implementing lua scripting on a per-map basis, just know that me and a large group of my friends, who are OpenSauce folks, would greatly benefit from seeing such a feature so we could use it in our player-hosted games on the maps that we like to throw together. It would be fantastic to see something like this become a staple of Chimera, so we don't have to rely on both dedicated servers and SAPP (which, as we know, doesn't support .yelo).

Also, I want to generally extend my gratitude towards you for developing such an amazing application for Halo: Custom Edition that's jam-packed with features, some of which I thought were never possible within the ramifications of the engine. It took me visiting this thread this morning for the umpteenth time this month to finally decide to make an account here at OC, but I suppose it would've happened sooner or later.

Please, by all means, continue the good work. I am very appreciative of all you've done already, and it continues to grow as you continue to solve problems and come up with the coolest shit.

Edited by Bungie LLC
replaced "don't" with "doesn't"

Tiddy-bits:

4 hours ago, sanni said:

Is there an easy way to share clear text chimera configs similar to hac2's preferences.ini?

Currently, everything is stored in a binary file, chimera.bin, which is located where Halo's path is set (Documents\My Games\Halo CE by default. There's no text-based option presently.

It would be great if you could change it to an easy editable text file so it would be more user friendly.

Actually I would really love it if we could have one single configuration file for all the different things like hac2's preferences.txt, halo's config.txt and init.txt and chimera's config file because it's getting quite confuzzling for the average Halo player.

Also on that topic, in halo's config.txt you can set "DisableBuffering" which is explained as "Forces a video card to render each scene - used to prevent mouse lag". Do you know if this is still valid? Should you set this option to prevent mouse lag or was that something only important with 2003 era pc's.

Thanks a lot.

Takka, Sceny and Kavawuvi like this

Sounds to me a lot like the equivalent of "Triple Buffering", which is a function that, when used in conjunction with vertical sync, improves overall performance, but will increase the amount of experienced input lag associated with vertical sync.

25 minutes ago, Bungie LLC said:

Sounds to me a lot like the equivalent of "Triple Buffering", which is a function that, when used in conjunction with vertical sync, improves overall performance, but will increase the amount of experienced input lag associated with vertical sync.

True triple buffering should have much less input lag than using double buffer vertical sync but still eliminate tearing, as your GPU wouldn't have to wait between display refreshes before pushing out frames. This is what you're effectively doing when you play your game in windowed mode thanks to Windows's desktop window manager (dwm.exe). I'd personally never use double buffer vSync. Tearing is preferred over your mouse feeling like a brick.

1 hour ago, sanni said:

It would be great if you could change it to an easy editable text file so it would be more user friendly.

I was considering doing that eventually, but I'd have to figure out how I'd migrate older chimera.bin files.

Sceny likes this

Guys, complete newbie here and got a really silly question: 

What is a *disable multitexture overlays* feature and should I enable it? Using Chimera in SPV3 currently.

Also reporting a possible bug: when using sprint in SPV3 the weapons sway appears in 30fps sometimes.

Huge thanks to the developer and this community for continuing to improve Halo CE!

20 minutes ago, Cutt said:

What is a *disable multitexture overlays* feature and should I enable it? Using Chimera in SPV3 currently.

It disables the moving lines that appear in the original sniper HUD when in zoom.

Doesn't SPV3 use 'animated' reticles? If so, disabling multitexture overlays would prevent the reticles functioning properly.

36 minutes ago, Cutt said:

Guys, complete newbie here and got a really silly question: 

It's for stock maps, and the sniper rifle scope has a buggy scope because it implements multitexture overlays poorly. This disables MOs completely, which can break maps that properly use them.

Also reporting a possible bug: when using sprint in SPV3 the weapons sway appears in 30fps sometimes.

Huge thanks to the developer and this community for continuing to improve Halo CE!

I tried fixing that to the best I can a while back. On the latest version, it usually isn't in 30 FPS, but it can happen. Also, thanks.

I still can't believe you were able to get interpolation to work in FP. I'd love to get a general idea of how you even did it, since (I assume) FP assets aren't exactly [obj] tag classes in the memory, or are not easily accessed. I like to imagine the method must be relatively abstract.

On a potentially unrelated note in regards to Chimera, will interchangeable FP models in-game ever be a thing? I know you've made mention of it before in another thread, even making mention of writing some kind of app.