What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Zatarita

Recorded Animations research dump

Tiddy-bits:

Definitely gonna read all the way through in the next few days, just able to skim at the moment.

Somebody did release a small utility on Halomaps a few years back to make your own recordings in-game and save them as separate files which would be accessible through Opensauce I believe. Would be cool to have a tool compatible with stock CE, if that's what you're talking about doing.

Zatarita and Jade like this

Umh7x1l.gif

57 minutes ago, TCK said:

Definitely gonna read all the way through in the next few days, just able to skim at the moment.

Somebody did release a small utility on Halomaps a few years back to make your own recordings in-game and save them as separate files which would be accessible through Opensauce I believe. Would be cool to have a tool compatible with stock CE, if that's what you're talking about doing.

SteamFox actually suggested a blender plugin, it is a thought.

But I was more aiming for a IDE that would load in a unit, allow you to create keys and have the program calculate out the tweens with a timeline.

I also want to be able to pick points in a timeline scrubber to attach scripts. This way I could do scripting in synch with the RA. Say update the camera, or start a different units RA.

Since I'm also focusing on scripting for tiaraCE I also want to have a solid understanding of the scripting data. I want a full fledged IDE for halo scripting as well. From basic syntax highlighting to intelisense style text prediction.

Edited by Zatarita
Clarification
ST34MF0X likes this

Specifications:

S3dpak - format - Imeta/ipak - format - Fmeta - format

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

nqc5nG7.png

Found some interesting strings in a sapien decompile.

So it's: Looking, Aiming, Facing for the vectors.

it's Aiming_speed instead of actor focus.

Animation state for actor state.

Throttle instead of velocity (though personally I prefer velocity)

Vuthakral, Takka and ST34MF0X like this

Specifications:

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP

Something I just thought of, I remember in the CE Developer commentary Joe Staten said something about how having bad lag on his mouse it resulted in laggy / stuttery movement when played back in the game.

This got me thinking, Halo PC is known for the cutscene animations of characters looking around being jittery, was this a limitation of hardware of mice that were recorded with back then, or is it just how the system functions? E.g. if I was say working on some kind of top secret project revolving around the Bungie campaign could I go back in and re-record those inputs which are jittery and remove that problem?

5 hours ago, Vuthakral said:

Something I just thought of, I remember in the CE Developer commentary Joe Staten said something about how having bad lag on his mouse it resulted in laggy / stuttery movement when played back in the game.

This got me thinking, Halo PC is known for the cutscene animations of characters looking around being jittery, was this a limitation of hardware of mice that were recorded with back then, or is it just how the system functions? E.g. if I was say working on some kind of top secret project revolving around the Bungie campaign could I go back in and re-record those inputs which are jittery and remove that problem?

I believe this might be because RAs are synched to 30 fps. Most RAs I see are timed 1 tick/ 2 ticks as well. Meaning you have ~10 events per second.

Unless you plan on moving no more than 10 units (coordinate units, not unit tag)  per second there will be jumps. Halo literally can't interpolate the data during those frames. Considering you can move your mouse faster than 10 units per second, there we'll be times you move faster than halo will update the rendering; causing a jump.

If your mouse is jittering though, the recording would as well (assuming you're recording the animation from live play)

I'm not sure why halo doesn't do one tick rotations every time during a continuous rotation. I'm assuming the reason might be dropped inputs; however, that's speculation

3.png

Radium is coming along well btw!

Hopefully you could use it on some super secret projects. once it's functional it'll take mouse jitter out of the equation c;

Jade and Vuthakral like this

Specifications:

Programs:

H2a-inflate - SuP