Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Pokémon Sword and Shield Review

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

The IGN review I watched touched on many of your same points and still rated it a 9.3

For reference, they gave The Witcher 3 and Horizon: Zero Dawn the same score.

Kava, I'll write your letter of recommendation if you want to work at IGN. I know you're a huge long time Pokemon fan and I appreciate your ability to still look at it objectively.

Oh, here's that dumb review if anyone wants:

Edited by Sunstriker7
added video
Tucker933 and Kavawuvi like this

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

1 hour ago, Sunstriker7 said:

The IGN review I watched touched on many of your same points and still rated it a 9.3

For reference, they gave The Witcher 3 and Horizon: Zero Dawn the same score.

Kava, I'll write your letter of recommendation if you want to work at IGN. I know you're a huge long time Pokemon fan and I appreciate your ability to still look at it objectively.

Oh, here's that dumb review if anyone wants:

-snip-

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm personally not a fan of boiling reviews down to a score out of 100 (or 10.0 as IGN likes to put it), as I think such a rating system is waaaay too arbitrary.

But, if it was me doing it, I would've probably given it more along the lines of a 6/10 or 7/10. There are way too many areas where the games are just plain mediocre, so it just feels unevenly cooked - seemingly a classic symptom of a rushed game.

But despite everything, I enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) playing Pokémon Sword. I think the game is good, yes, but certainly not $60 good. Fortunately for me, I got the game used on eBay, so I didn't have to pay full price.

Sceny and Sunstriker7 like this

I played it, I enjoyed it at the time. There were things done right, some there could be improved on. The game isn't fresh enough in my mind to list.

The main issue I had with the game was the lack of a real threat. Which was reflected in how poor the story was, imo.

Kavawuvi likes this

I've added images, most of which were from my own gameplay. Anything not mine has been credited.

Images are also captioned, too, if you want to read a slightly snarky remark on it or something.

I stopped playing my switch for about 6 months, then this game came out. After about 1 hour of gameplay, I stopped playing again.

I ended up selling my switch and games to a co-worker. They gave the switch to their kid for Christmas. I just don't play Nintendo games like I use to anymore. Even smash bros was boring to me.

Nothing against switches or nintendo. I just don't enjoy those types of games anymore.

Edited by PopeTX28
Sunstriker7 likes this

I have to agree with you Pope. For me though, I think it's in large part because these IPs have not changed much, or when they do it's not necessarily better. I played the crap out of Smash on the n64 and gamecube. To me, the new smash just doesn't have the same charm that the older games did, probably because I've just played so much of the older ones and this new one is not radically new (b-but mah online multplayer! well, it's just the same shit but matchmaking now... and for a fee). I really enjoy the first and second gen pokemon games to this day, but after that they were just milking the same old cow with not much new to it. In this regard I appreciate Kava's review because I have a coworker who circle jerks the new pokemon game, but I had my doubts. I'm glad my friend likes it, but Kava's objective review showed me that while there's some good changes to pokemon recently, it's still not nearly approaching the quality I would expect from the highest grossing media franchise of all time. I enjoy mario kart only when my nieces and nephews visit, otherwise I'd rather hook 4 360 controllers to my computer and play Kart 64 on emulator. So far, the only game that I've played that held my attention was Breath of the Wild. I've also been interested in Mario Odyssey but haven't tried it yet.

But there's also Minecraft,  Skyrim, and Doom, so it has that going for it.

Edited by Sunstriker7
Kavawuvi and PopeTX28 like this

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild did bring something unique and new to the series that was actually interesting, and, for a first game in the series to have open world in it, they did an excellent good job it. It has replay value to it, too, if you want to try your hand at Hero Mode and, if you bought the DLC, the insanely hard Master Mode. There are also many ways to tackle different problems, and there is a massive variety of content to explore and enjoy even without buying any DLC.

Pokémon, on the other hand, tries to play it way too safe. They added exactly one thing to the battling system: bigger Pokémon. Not only is the mechanic uninteresting since they had (and removed) Mega Evolutions which were basically bigger, stronger, cooler versions of the Pokémon, but it's also broken:

• ANY Pokémon can do it at ANY time without sacrificing a held item, unlike Mega Evolutions
  • They get 2x their HP, the whole "super effective" stuff basically gets thrown out since your Pokémon can now sponge nearly everything
  • They can spam Z moves for three turns. Such moves not only partially bypass protect, but they can now raise your stats, lower your opponent's stats, change the weather, set up entry hazards, inflict status, delete Reflect/Light Screen from the field, trap your opponent, and more. See this page for a list of effects.
  • They are immune to moves like Encore, and, if they have a Choice item, their item is temporarily disabled (thus they are no longer Choice locked)

I'm sure these games take a non-trivial amount of time to develop. However, the latest games have showed just how rushed these games were. Removing half the roster, including some of my favorites like Ampharos, Skarmory, and Dragonite, doesn't quite sit well with me, as they said they did it for time constraints, but the game seems way too rushed for that.

Really, if you want my honest opinion, I don't think the switch to 3D really has been kind at all to the series. Especially in the postgame, the character animations are often just plain bad. For example, rather than the box art legendary Pokémon having an animation for turning around, it walks in place and turns on a swivel. There is also a part of the game where a Pokémon uses an electric type attack on a door to unlock it, and the game simply cuts to black and plays the sound of it happening rather than showing it happen. It really seems like they put most of their time towards Pokémon Camp animations, a completely optional part of the game, rather than the actual cutscenes you have to watch to complete the game.

I'm worried that they'll probably do what they did with Sun/Moon: release a "director's cut" version of the game for full price. This game, should they release it, would have stuff that should have been in the game on Day 1.

Sceny and Sunstriker7 like this

23 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

I'm worried that they'll probably do what they did with Sun/Moon: release a "director's cut" version of the game for full price. This game, should they release it, would have stuff that should have been in the game on Day 1.

Pokémon Axe(d) would be a fitting name 

Sunstriker7 and Kavawuvi like this