What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vuthakral

[WIP] Rolling Thunder (Custom map & tags)

13 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

I like the idea of Marine-centric gameplay and I also like the idea of a tank battle map. If these two things are being combined, though, I think you'll need more than just makeshift outposts: this may be a scenario for trenches. 

May also consider removing the viewports from the gunner's position to differentiate between the two hatches, since he's going to be looking through a gun sight anyway.

This makes me want to play  M1 Tank Platoon 2 so bad right now

If you can capture the magic of piloting the various seats of the tank you have a genius idea.

Edited by Sunstriker7
Vuthakral likes this

5 minutes ago, Sunstriker7 said:

This makes me want to play  M1 Tank Platoon 2 so bad right now

If you can capture the magic of piloting the various seats of the tank you have a genius idea.

Extremely similar to what I'm wanting to do; just a lot more arcade-y than most tank sim stuff. I for sure want to do more realistic tank shell projectiles, and also probably add some drop to the AT sniper to keep it a little more challenging than most CE sniper rifles. I'm a little limited in the control department for driving since Halo CE's concept of tank driving is to just orient the chassis in the direction the driver is looking but we might just have to bite the bullet on that one. I am currently working on the interior model of the tank right now though, so seeing your instruments and readouts as the driver should hopefully really help push that feeling forward.

I'm no military or tank fanatic, and that leaves me in a weird spot where I'm not sure what kind of things I should be putting inside this tank to make it feel "proper" for Halo. I'm trying to look at references of real-world tanks driver seats to get a feel for the space they work in as well as what kind of things are present, while also trying to account for technological advances some 500 years into the future that the scorpion could be making use of. Does anyone here have suggestions of the kinds of things I should be including in the interior of this model?

A list of things I currently have are:

• Emergency gun access hatch (between the two seats)
  • Sidearm & ammunition storage (left of driver seat on the interior wall)
  • Two sealed storage units (the two halves of the center console) for stuff like a fire extinguisher or things which may require more delicate handling.

I'm also in a little bit of a personal debate on whether the scorpion would have steering control done via a wheel or purely with levers, or some kind of other future-tech.

Here's some more pictures of the tank model, posting interior stuff in its current progress first:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Also yes, everyone's favourite shovel is safe & sound...

unknown.png

Edit: Most up-to-date interior progress

unknown.png

Edited by Vuthakral
Takka likes this

@Weps

Only guy I can think of who can help you figure out what the cockpit of a tank might realistically look like

I can advise on controls though. I drive an excavator at work and the scorpion would almost undoubtedly use two levers. One for each side. Turret controls would probably be joysticks. One hand would be turret pivot and the other hand would be barrel height.

Edited by Sunstriker7
Weps likes this

And I'm over here thinking there's not much you would do for a uniquely amazing mod idea. I would have never imagined something like this being attempted. Neat.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

Thanks for the mention, @Sunstriker7

Steerage on tanks has drastically changed over the decades, but you're not far off on how steerage worked for pre-1950's tanks, the lever system was borrowed from tractors of the era.

The Ford 3-Ton 1918 was essentially an armored tractor operating two Model-T engines and an M1919 .30Cal, however the French really were at the forefront of armor development with the purpose built Renault FT, sporting a modern turret with a mounted gun...which isn't mean to detract from the British armor development effort, they just have a very unique, but inefficient  and costly design with the Mark series landships. 

Now, my "expertise" is in post-WWI, western armor, particularly US, so that's what I'll reference mostly here;

The M47 was really the first tank design to see a departure from the lever steerage system, implementing a joystick-type of system nicked-named the "wobble stick", which was abandoned with the M48 and replaced with an oval-shaped steering-wheel, but with the development of the M60A1 the steering wheel was dropped in favor of a simplified yolk-bar which was standard on the M60A1 RISE,  M60A2, and M60A3 TTS, but with the M1 Abrams an advanced yolk-bar with an integrated gear-shift and reverse-function was utilized and has just been regularly updated as time has moved forward.

M47 steerage control: https://postimg.cc/dLmVKPpL

M48, M103 & M60 steerage control: https://postimg.cc/4n1xDRrn

M60A1/A2/A3 steerage control: https://postimg.cc/N953GVDh

M1/M1A2/A3 steerage control: https://postimg.cc/9wHL3NNY

You'll also notice a drastic increase in gauges and electronic control surfacing surrounding the driver as time progresses in tank design.

Now, fire control on tanks has maintained a similar overall design since the M47; multi-axis powered traverse yolk system that controls elevation and traverse simultaneously;

M47 Gunner's yolk vs M1 Gunners' yolk: https://postimg.cc/8fBQxvws

Maingun power-traverse stabilization had been around since the M4A1, but was wildly unpopular with crews until the M26, due to the arduous task of co-sighting and the lack of a turret bustle. The M48 was a leap froward in stabilization using a stereoscopic rangefinding system, with the M60A3 TTS being the next leap with a ruby-red lensed laser rangefinder, and the Abrams using a much more advanced ELRF laser rangefinder and gaining the ability to fire while moving due to the advanced fire control system computers capable of doing immediate fire controls ballistic solutions. 

Sorry to kind of just dump all that on you. If something doesn't make sense or comes across as confusing feel free to ask away, there is no such thing as a stupid question. 

Edited by Weps
Vuthakral, Kavawuvi, Takka and 1 other like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0