Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sour Patch

.txt SAPP file encoding?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can tell me the correct/most consistent file encoding format for SAPP .txt files like the events.txt and init.txt.

Non-standard characters are not being consistently read by SAPP/Halo Dedi and I'm wondering which encoding format would be best to stick to from the following -

Western European (Windows)

Unicode

Unicode (Big Endian)

Unicode UTF-7

Unicode UTF-8

Unicode UTF-32

Thanks

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

UCS-2 little endian BOM.

Basically little endian UTF-16 with a BOM but it's fixed at 16-bit width where UTF-16 is variable-length if you're using any special characters. If you just use the basic ASCII characters, then they're basically the same.

Tucker933 likes this

Thanks very much for replying @Kavawuvi

I just have an additional question on this.

My hosting provider's web based editor only lists the following encoding formats as options - 

Unicode

Unicode (Big Endian)

Unicode UTF-7

Unicode UTF-8

Unicode UTF-32

Would you recommend editing and saving .txt in the format you've specified with a desktop editor and then FTP'ing them, instead of using the web based editor?

6 minutes ago, Sour Patch said:

Thanks very much for replying @Kavawuvi

I just have an additional question on this.

My hosting provider's web based editor only lists the following encoding formats as options - 

Unicode

Unicode (Big Endian)

Unicode UTF-7

Unicode UTF-8

Unicode UTF-32

Would you recommend editing and saving .txt in the format you've specified with a desktop editor and then FTP'ing them, instead of using the web based editor?

Yes. Using your own text editor whenever possible usually has better results.

What I'd do is load SAPP once without any configuration to let it generate the text file. Then I'd use a program like Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code and open the file. These text editors will typically automatically detect the format of the text file as they will detect the BOM SAPP will put at the start of the text file. Make your changes, save, and upload. If you run into any problems using FTP, then try sending the file in binary mode.

Sour Patch likes this