What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elote

TFTU- Halo 1 SP maps project

18 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

So is this a team of people? Are you all working on 1 single player mission at a time or multiple? I'm curious on how this is all organized.

I think this is pretty cool. Especially with a focus on stock-based SP mission design and nothing complicated. I'm interested in knowing more.

Elote likes this

On 7/28/2019 at 8:08 PM, DSalimander said:

Nuke any tags contaminated with Open Sauce and work from there.

Hide contents

Hi Nick

I understand the hate for OS from a multiplayer standpoint 100% but from a SP POV I think it opens a bunch of things up (although it can be annoying sometimes from a dev standpoint). Plus a lot of the H2 assets look like ass without bump maps, all the vanilla levels will be non OS anyway so a majority of this will be vanilla.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:36 PM, PopeTX28 said:

So is this a team of people? Are you all working on 1 single player mission at a time or multiple? I'm curious on how this is all organized.

I think this is pretty cool. Especially with a focus on stock-based SP mission design and nothing complicated. I'm interested in knowing more.

Its not really a team per say, Banshee is a good friend of mine and dips in here and there, Altheros and Killer5000 did most of the OS tags but aren't around atm. I would say I'm the person with the most HSC experience and will probably do most if not all SP design. Right now me and stunt man are working on Mountain Climb but that is at his work pace as he is the main designer on that. We basically have a few builds and we bounce ideas off each other based on the original concept. I have a few concepts (crudely drawn in MS paint and on pen and paper) or if a designer would come on board with their own idea for a SP level I would work with you (as long as its in the scope of Halo 1's gameplay). Stunt man is only focused on that 1 level as its based on a concept I have, but if other people were to come on board I could definitely juggle multiple levels (HSC obviously being easier than BSP). I am practicing on my own BSPs but its nothing I'm confident in publishing as a part of this. 

Edited by Elote
PopeTX28 likes this

18 minutes ago, Elote said:

Its not really a team per say, Banshee is a good friend of mine and dips in here and there, Altheros and Killer5000 did most of the OS tags but aren't around atm. I would say I'm the person with the most HSC experience and will probably do most if not all SP design. Right now me and stunt man are working on Mountain Climb but that at his work pace as he is the main designer on that. We basically have a few builds and we bounce ideas off each other based on the original concept. I have a few concepts (crudely drawn in MS paint and on pen and paper) or if a designer would come on board with their own idea for a SP level I would work with you (as long as its in the scope of Halo 1's gameplay). Stunt man is only focused on that 1 level as its based on a concept I have, but if other people were to come on board I could definitely juggle multiple levels (HSC obviously being easier than BSP). I am practicing on my own BSPs but its nothing I'm confident in publishing as a part of this. 

Well, after the mapping competition, I was planning on doing a stock-base SP mission. I may run some ideas/layouts by you. I'm not really savy with scripting or AI placement. But I would like to say I'm good overall with layout and BSP design.

Elote likes this

Small update:

Mountain Climb's first part is almost complete, hoping to get a gameplay pass of it uploaded soon to show everyone what type of gameplay/style we are shooting for 

dCyM6Wk.png

ARPzXLF.png

Me and Banshee are working on a Urban Human level, think New Mombassa or New Alexandria. Fighting in the streets and surrounding buildings this will be a fast paced level with vehicle encounters. This level will use the Halo 1.5/Enhanced tagset

XtCzta0.jpgQLyI5vW.jpg

On the tag front I've been experimenting with dual wielding elites (thanks to DarknessSamura\BellBlitzKing for his assets!). These weapons at the moment drop and detonate into singles of their main type. Similarly to how the elites in reach duel wield, these elites will make rare appearances but are a definite threat. We are also looking at making a duel wieldable needler for them. 

F76V1hY.png

I'm also planning to do a breakdown video on some of the features and ideas behind the 1.5 sandbox and gain feedback on said ideas.

Edited by Elote
(SBB) Storm, stunt_man and Takka like this

This looks really sweet, I think a lot more people are finally willing to do more stock oriented mods with MCC looming. I always loved old school campaign mods like Contact despite how egregiously flawed they were, and to see more of something like that but with more thought put into it is exciting.

I'm happy to see stuff like this, the approach to the 1.5 tagset is definitely an interesting and subtle take on extending the sandbox but I look forward to seeing it nonetheless.

How far do you all plan to go for the overall visual quality of the 1.5 tagset? Is a tasteful visual boost in all of CE's assets a goal at some point?

EDIT:

we are also looking for a few people to give feedback on a sandbox test level (Basically a custom SP level using the H1.5 sandbox that is used to test the sandbox in a "real/live" gameplay space). Thanks!

I'd be interested in giving feedback, you can reach me in my private messages and I'll try to respond after work.

Edited by MEGASEAN2812

7 hours ago, MEGASEAN2812 said:

This looks really sweet, I think a lot more people are finally willing to do more stock oriented mods with MCC looming. I always loved old school campaign mods like Contact despite how egregiously flawed they were, and to see more of something like that but with more thought put into it is exciting.

I'm happy to see stuff like this, the approach to the 1.5 tagset is definitely an interesting and subtle take on extending the sandbox but I look forward to seeing it nonetheless.

How far do you all plan to go for the overall visual quality of the 1.5 tagset? Is a tasteful visual boost in all of CE's assets a goal at some point?

EDIT:

I'd be interested in giving feedback, you can reach me in my private messages and I'll try to respond after work.

I've experimented with bump mapping some of the characters and upscaling their textures but to be honest I'm on the fence with it. I'm not sure where the line gets drawn on what should we do or should we just try to update every asset in H1? The main philosophy for 1.5 is just to add on to H1's core not change, replace or modify, but then again it is just a visual thing. I feel like H2 isn't that far removed from H1's art style and some of the assets blend well enough that it isn't jarring. We're also shooting for that old school feeling\look so I'm not sure if that hurts that design choice as well. Its definitely something we're looking at but at the moment I'm not sure of the extent of how far we would go down that path. 

It's been a while but I got a little sidetracked with personal stuff. A small update but there is definitely somethings I want to go over 

That is a short segment of the sandbox test level I mentioned earlier. I am releasing the sandbox SP test level and am looking for feedback on how the basic Halo 1.5 sandbox plays. This level's tagset is a little outdated and contains tags I am no longer/never will use but the level itself is the type of game play I'm shooting for. Although it is a "test level' its more of a "test environment" level. The sandbox is being tested in a real scenario space. Consider this the first unofficial map release of the project as the BSP was not made by me (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1042 its from here and is a low key gem). 

This level is based around the 1.5 sandbox so let me know how you guys feel ( I didn't really QA this besides with a few friends, basically disable the 3 communication relays and secure the rest of the area, if you get lost just hold forward). Speaking of the 1.5 sandbox here is a quick breakdown on the most obvious addition, the Brute

You can download and play Brute Canyon Here (it is a .yelo!)

Work continues on the Urban level as we map out potential encounters and spawn closets, here are some screenshots from the planning of that level

u31RXsS.png

DvHWNBw.png

Another one of our traditional Halo levels is starting to take shape in its block-out form. Here's a short clip of that

Mountain climb is on a indefinite hiatus as Pope had to step away from the project for personal reasons and Stunt man has lost interest in level design for H:CE. If anyone would like to finish this level off let me know as I'm putting it on the back burner for now.

That's it for this update. Thanks for checking it out and feel free to leave feedback on the level above  

WaeV, (SBB) Storm, stunt_man and 1 other like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0