DSalimander

Smoothery

15 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

UT2k4 competes in my heart as my favorite FPS with Halo CE so it's interesting to see this. I played around in it for a while and at face value, it seems like all the weapons act exactly as they're intended.

My question really is, why do this? It's really neat but UT2k4 is built on a much better engine. You also can't really replicate the dodging mechanics which is a core part of the gameplay so you can't exactly recreate a large part of what makes up the game's identity. Do you plan on replacing it with another movement mechanic?

DSalimander and WaeV like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

The desire to make it came mostly from people who don't have Unreal Tournament 2004. I don't have any plans for dodging at the moment. Halo's strafing should be an acceptable replacement, especially since I increased player speed. Maybe I should have mentioned the player speed change.

I'm curious to play at some point just because it'll be like UT2k4 from a parallel reality, where all the things that can't quite be replicated the same.

DSalimander likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Just now, DSalimander said:

The desire to make it came mostly from people who don't have Unreal Tournament 2004. I don't have any plans for dodging at the moment. Halo's strafing should be an acceptable replacement, especially since I increased player speed. Maybe I should have mentioned the player speed change.

Yeah, I noticed that! I played around a while back with making a better instagib experience with Halo and the first thing I did was increase player speed plus increasing friction. I definitely like the idea of sneaking some UT into the palette of more players. :)

It's unfortunate that there's not much of a UT community out there at all anymore. I really miss playing it.

DSalimander and WaeV like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

2 minutes ago, Tucker933 said:

I'm curious to play at some point just because it'll be like UT2k4 from a parallel reality, where all the things that can't quite be replicated the same.

Yeah it needs to be said that this isn't supposed to be 100% Unreal Tournament 2004-like. It's probably more Quake-like than Unreal-like. I took some liberties with the player movement. As you can see by the ramp jump things.

Just now, Pfhunkie said:

Yeah, I noticed that! I played around a while back with making a better instagib experience with Halo and the first thing I did was increase player speed plus increasing friction. I definitely like the idea of sneaking some UT into the palette of more players. :)

It's unfortunate that there's not much of a UT community out there at all anymore. I really miss playing it.

Some tryhards in the competitive portion of the Halo community like this kind of stuff. We are going to be playing it tonight on our GMYF OBJ STL server. Look for it in the server list, but it will probably be full.

Pfhunkie likes this

10 minutes ago, DSalimander said:

Some tryhards in the competitive portion of the Halo community like this kind of stuff. We are going to be playing it tonight on our GMYF OBJ STL server. Look for it in the server list, but it will probably be full.

I'd love to but I'm an old man that goes to bed way too early now. I'll have to catch you some other time. :)

DSalimander likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

A little more air and ground friction might be better, as mentioned.

And speaking of insta-gib, some SAPP scripts could be useful for some of the popular mutators. Might have to look into that as well.

Updates:

Added the correct Flak Cannon ammo.

Fixed item base scenery bounding radii.

Found this: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/421105781761376257/603401215476498449/Oh_No.mp4

Edited by DSalimander
Updates!

I might try it but I already have UT2004. 

It would be cool to have some of the maps converted over to CE style aesthetics.