Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Thomas

Trying to use SAPP events to ban a player by name using IP when he enters...

Posted (edited)

So we have been having a lot of issues with a paticular player recently, calling himself "fou".

We have had many occasions where he has seen fit to enter our servers and wall all the time, and I do mean ALL the time.  We have had many people visit our forums, often from other clans, and tell us about him and we have been trying to find ways to keep him out of our servers, and the only viable solution was to ban his CD key until we find a solution to this issue.  Banning his CD key has resulted in many people visiting our forums saying that they have been banned for no reason, and in a way they are right, but it turns out that banning "fou's" CD key, has also banned them without me realising until today when 2 members of our clan contacted me saying that they were banned.  I looked at the logs, and pinned it down to the CD key that they were using being identical to "fou's".

I have an event added to the "events.txt" file that should be banning people when they enter, but it does not appear to be working, and wondered if there is some help here that I can get to make it work, so I can keep "fou" out, hopefully.

Also, I have changed the server so that instead of saying the players IP address when someone joins, although it is omnly to them, I changed it to say "Your IP has been logged." but after rebooting, it still shows the IP of the player and I qam not sure why.  This could be related to the cache, assuming SAPP has one, if so, where would I find it?

Thanks again.

@Java @Tucker933

Edited by Thomas

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Because of Twitch streaming and alike, you never want to needlessly tell somebody their own IP in server messages.

Assuming this "fou" person is using a unique IP, just ban that. If they're using multiple IP addresses, you might be able to ban the range of IPs they're using, if that's what they're doing... but they probably aren't. There is a server that I used to participate in that had a similar problem. Couldn't ban the name, CD-Key, or IP address of this guy because he would just change it and come back. We ended up just making the server unlisted and switched IPs. Hardly a solution. I hate to say it but sometimes if you have a big enough asshole trying to ruin your Halo server, there isn't much you can do. Try to keep a record of all the names, IP addresses, and CD-Keys this person uses. Try to find a pattern. If there isn't one... tough luck.

Whenever you change server files like events.txt or LUA scripts, rebooting the server (or reloading SAPP) should indeed make any changes take affect. Just try replacing the files and reloading SAPP again. Double check you saved and overwrote stuff correctly.

Tucker933, Sceny, Kavawuvi and 1 other like this

4 minutes ago, DSalimander said:

Because of Twitch streaming and alike, you never want to needlessly tell somebody their own IP in server messages.

Assuming this "fou" person is using a unique IP, just ban that. If they're using multiple IP addresses, you might be able to ban the range of IPs they're using, if that's what they're doing... but they probably aren't. There is a server that I used to participate in that had a similar problem. Couldn't ban the name, CD-Key, or IP address of this guy because he would just change it and come back. We ended up just making the server unlisted and switched IPs. Hardly a solution. I hate to say it but sometimes if you have a big enough asshole trying to ruin your Halo server, there isn't much you can do. Try to keep a record of all the names, IP addresses, and CD-Keys this person uses. Try to find a pattern. If there isn't one... tough luck.

Whenever you change server files like events.txt or LUA scripts, rebooting the server (or reloading SAPP) should indeed make any changes take affect. Just try replacing the files and reloading SAPP again. Double check you saved and overwrote stuff correctly.

I have found that the IP's that this idiot uses are all from the same general range, I mean the first block is ALWAYS the same, but the others seem to be different.  Also the CD key he uses is the same so far in all the entries that I have seen of him joining.

We have banned him so many times, that I have lost count, but he always ruins the game for everyone with his cheating and it is frustrating that we cant keep him out.  If I was to ban the first block of his IP, assuming that is possible, it would potentially ban millions of other potentially innocent players.  This is why I am trying to find a way to keep just "fou" out, and not many other players as a result of that idiots cheating.

After updating the events file, the IP is still shown to the player, when I changed it not to, what could be causing it?  Side note, I did try to reload SAPP, but got the same issue.

I assume you mean "fou", if so, I would have to agree with you.  He is one of many toxic players that just don't know how to take know how to take no for an answer!

We have had some players from other clans report him, and I have him on our BoS list, and he is unlikely to be removed because he is a cheater and for no other reason.  He walls, and there have been reports that he is also an aimbotter as well, which would not surprise me.  He will never be allowed on our servers again, as he is not only on a BoS order, but once I get that "nameban" installed, I will be adding him to it, assuming it operates in a similar way to the original "banned.txt" file.

Posted (edited)

Why not?

Also, I have sucessfully changed the settings in the server files to show "[PLAYER_NAME], your IP has been logged."  Thus, player IP's will no longer be displayed, but are still entered in to the server logs.

Edited by Thomas