Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nickster5000

HSC Visual Studio Code Extension

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Lines 11, 19, and 22 contain errors. This was what I was able to glean from just looking at it for a couple minutes.

Yet the IDE itself isn't showing these problems. I would consider this a failure. Somebody else also made something to help Halo scripting, forgot who and what because these tools both suffer the same problem: anybody proficient enough to need something like this... doesn't need it. I've wrote all my scripts by hand and sure sometimes counting parenthesis can be annoying but I have never stopped and said an IDE of any sort would improve anything. Halo script just isn't complicated enough to need an IDE. If I was ever in doubt about what I was writing, a quick attempt at compiling it in Sapien would tell me exactly what's wrong. Any other mysteries are quickly solved by looking at the Halo Script Bible. Sure you can make some words and symbols special colors for visual aid, but does that really help anything? If you rely on such things to help you do scripting, you're in over your head. I really wish I could say this is a useful thing... but expert scripters don't need it and it would cause a lot of headaches for newbies trying to learn if it isn't catching errors like I was able to. I like the idea though.

Posted (edited)

I just set whatever text editor I use to LISP and it looks good enough to work with. Because halo script is LISP.

Edited by SBBMichelle

On 7/13/2019 at 7:41 AM, DSalimander said:

Pure notepad, nothing else. No IDE.

Notepad, as in Microsoft Notepad? Like the worst text editor known to man?

God help your poor, misguided soul. Also god help your poor fucking eyes, black text on a white background is the worst.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:15 AM, DSalimander said:

Yet the IDE itself isn't showing these problems. I would consider this a failure.

If you looked at the GitHub link at all, you would have noticed that it is just a set of color themes for VS, not actual code completion/correction. Also, great job finding issues in a tiny code snippet that was obviously written to show off the theme.

anybody proficient enough to need something like this... doesn't need it

Anyone who writes code professionally uses an IDE, or at the very least a proper text editor with a color theme. Just cause a language is simple doesn't mean you can't benefit from using the proper tool for the job. Everyone has their own work flow and working environment setup differently, if you are smart you choose a method that makes your life easier.

Sure you can make some words and symbols special colors for visual aid, but does that really help anything? If you rely on such things to help you do scripting, you're in over your head. I really wish I could say this is a useful thing... but expert scripters don't need it

Yes, because reading a wall of text all colored the same makes most people's eyes start bleeding. More importantly, having function calls, variables, etc all light up different colors makes any size file easier to read. No need to go find the declaration to figure out what something is, you just know based on how it is lit up. People don't rely on it, they use it to their advantage to make their life easier. If you are truly an "expert" at something, you don't do it the hard way. Its like you're trying to cut a tree down with a pen knife and at the same time telling off the guy with the chainsaw.

By the way, before you say "oh I don't need context clues, I wrote it so I know everything", good luck reading that mess of a script months from now. For the same reason, put some damn comments in, you animal.

if it isn't catching errors like I was able to

You have a knack for being a dick head, don't you.

5 hours ago, Kru said:

...it is just a set of color themes for VS... ...Anyone who writes code professionally uses an IDE, or at the very least a proper text editor with a color theme... ...reading a wall of text all colored the same makes most people's eyes start bleeding. More importantly, having function calls, variables, etc all light up different colors makes any size file easier to read. No need to go find the declaration to figure out what something is, you just know based on how it is lit up. People don't rely on it, they use it to their advantage to make their life easier. If you are truly an "expert" at something, you don't do it the hard way. Its like you're trying to cut a tree down with a pen knife and at the same time telling off the guy with the chainsaw.

You over emphasize these colors' usefulness in this case. You say ew to Notepad, I say ew to VS.

5 hours ago, Kru said:

By the way, before you say "oh I don't need context clues, I wrote it so I know everything", good luck reading that mess of a script months from now. For the same reason, put some damn comments in, you animal.

Actually the script is so big, and comments so numerous, that all the comments had to be moved to a separate file or else Sapien wouldn't compile it. I have been working on this for a while. Revised it several times and thoroughly documented all of it. If you'd like I could hold your hand and walk you through every line of it in eye bleeding black and white.

5 hours ago, Kru said:

You have a knack for being a dick head, don't you.

You don't write many Halo scripts, do you.

You don't write many Halo scripts, do you.

No, just software that flies on aircraft, hbu.

Kru, that was a non-sequitur.

I could understand something like this being useful if intellisense was implemented, some of the functions can get kinda monotonous to type out, being able to tab fill it is nice, and reference other scripts/functions and their inputs in one glance. Though, that would be significantly more complicated, and it would likely be easier to make a dedicated IDE. That's up to you if you decide the time is worth the pay off c:
However, I also understand the flip side of the coin. Scripts aren't overly complicated, and adding something to it might fall under the category of "If something ain't broke, don't fix it."

Though my thoughts on this is I'm ALL FOR different ways of representing data. Everybody is unique. For example, what if someone has high functioning autism? Being able to color code things might be fantastic for them. That actually might be the determining factor on if they decide to pursue their want to write scripts. Bridging a gap in the community and allowing for accessibility. This is very important for gaming in general IMO. While I might not personally use it, having it available is nice c:

I think it's a nice start c: Don't get discouraged! If one person thought it might be useful, there is bound to be another.

Krazychic and Tucker933 like this

I built it for me personally. I've learned that being able to highlight and differentiate functions from types helps me speed up my productivity, and allows me to cut wasted time reading scripts in notepad. Being able to save time developing maps in my busy day-to-day life is a win for me. I decided to release the extension because I felt it would be selfish to withhold this tool as it might be useful to someone else. Plus, since it is open sourced, someone who is better than me at Regular Expressions, Context Sensitive and Context free grammars can make a contribution to make it better. 

Sunstriker7 and Zatarita like this