Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Enclusion

How much RAM should a host have to run SAPP dedi stable?

Purchasing an amazon aws server and I would like to know the suggested resources to run a 16 player server using some of the SAPP features?

Nickster5000 likes this

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

The Halo dedicated server software probably won't use more than 150 MiB at peak times. Take into consideration what you plan on using as the operating system. Here are some estimates (from my experience):

If you are using a Linux-based server/VPS with no desktop environment, the OS itself likely won't consume more than 32 MiB.

If you are using a Linux-based server/VPS with a desktop environment, add 400 MiB to account for the desktop and a couple desktop programs. I recommend LXDE, Xfce, or MATE as they are the easiest on RAM, with LXDE being the lightest. Environments like GNOME and KDE are relatively heavy on RAM and should be avoided for this use case.

If you are using Windows, you can probably expect the OS to use 25% of your total RAM, with a greater proportion the less RAM you have.

Tucker933 and Nickster5000 like this

4 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

The Halo dedicated server software probably won't use more than 150 MiB at peak times. Take into consideration what you plan on using as the operating system. Here are some estimates (from my experience):

If you are using a Linux-based server/VPS with no desktop environment, the OS itself likely won't consume more than 32 MiB.

If you are using a Linux-based server/VPS with a desktop environment, add 400 MiB to account for the desktop and a couple desktop programs. I recommend LXDE, Xfce, or MATE as they are the easiest on RAM, with LXDE being the lightest. Environments like GNOME and KDE are relatively heavy on RAM and should be avoided for this use case.

If you are using Windows, you can probably expect the OS to use 25% of your total RAM, with a greater proportion the less RAM you have.

Are the DE/WMs necessary to use SAPP? If not, they can probably get away with t2.small t3.small EC2 instances

Grumpy UNIX and Cloud Administrator | 90's Boomer

19 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Are the DE/WMs necessary to use SAPP?

No.

Halo has really low requirements. That said, I have heard that it performs better if CPUs are not shared, but it's not required if you're just doing a public 16 player game.

Solaris likes this

7 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

Thanks. I got a server with 512mb RAM using windows server 2016 and its running surprisingly well. Haven't had 16 players on yet so I am not sure how well it will do then ill just have to wait and hope i get that many. Server named CLASSIC HALO TRIAL EXPERIENCE - slayfest.