What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
PopeTX28

Hypothetical Modding Tools

If any of the MCC games came with modding capability, how would you guys like the tools to be implemented?

Would you like it to be:

A) Similar to the HEK? Same process with tagging and populating through Guerilla and Sapien?

B) Something that is like an All-in-one tool. Something like Forge, but with the ability to import custom assets if desired.

C) Perhaps something entirely different? What are your thoughts/ideas?

Tiddy-bits:

I bet there won't be any mod support at all. It'll be one of those things where the more you can mod a game, the easier it is to cheat. These days game developers prefer a solid competitive game over something that can be modded. 343i has established a reputation for putting out the minimum viable product in my opinion and this is right in-line with that. If the game requires an Xbox Live subscription, then it probably won't have decent mod support- like Halo 2 Vista.

But to answer your question, an all-in-one tool is definitely best if you can make it work. The small amount of stuff Tool does could easily be grouped into either other program. I've seen mod tools with the ability to do what both Sapien and Guerilla can do. Modern engines like Unreal use an all-in-one editor.

Sceny, WaeV and Kavawuvi like this

1 minute ago, DSalimander said:

I bet there won't be any mod support at all. It'll be one of those things where the more you can mod a game, the easier it is to cheat. These days game developers prefer a solid competitive game over something that can be modded. 343i has established a reputation for putting out the minimum viable product in my opinion and this is right in-line with that. If the game requires an Xbox Live subscription, then it probably won't have decent mod support- like Halo 2 Vista.

We'll surely make it happen, and all get banned as a result.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Gotta make some trades for mod support.

If we get modding, there's no cross-play and potentially more hackers since they don't think they can implement an anti-cheat with modding allowed. But a lot of games seem fine. Especially looking at moddable games that use VAC. It may be on Steam but they won't be able to use VAC since VAC can't be used with the Windows Store version and would result in a split community.

I think we just need to push them to looking into doing it. Mod support could increase the lifespan of a game by huge amounts. That would probably be their number one reason.

But again, if they gave MCC mod support, people are going to want it for Halo Infinite which runs on a different engine. I doubt the idea of modding that came to mind, so having to add support for two different engines would be another deterrent.

Takka likes this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

The tradeoff for longevity with anticheat requires pretty significant investment, which I doubt they could properly convey justification for to the publisher on their own.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.