What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sudo

[WIP][MP] Death Spiral

Heyo!

I'm back, after what is like, a decade? I kinda wonder how many people remember me lol... Anyway, blame Tucker, I decided to work on a project which I'd always thought about, but never really got working nicely; making everything fly. Full warning: I never was much one for doing modeling, so my work has always been in fiddly tag work, for example I believe I wrote some of the first tutorials on chainspawning, back when HMT 3.5 was the tool of choice for modding if that dates me any...

Back in the day, I played around with various tricks to get a warthog to fly; swapping models didn't work well, it tended to have single-person hogs, collision was all screwed obviously, etc. Collision models didn't help since the physics tag was mostly not understood, but did handle in-motion collision, and other similar challenges all caused a fairly lacking result. I recently however dove back in, re-installed CE in the first time for years, and HEK for the first time in the better part of a decade, and dove in. Awhile of fiddling with Mozzarilla, I managed to get flying ghosts, complete with working in-flight model, etc. A few days later, I have warthogs looking rather good, and now lack a good reason to not attempt, say, tanks... Did some basic tweaks to how ghosts fly (reminded me of the good old days making banshees into crazy stunt machines), and decided I had enough for a first WIP video.

Since I've gotten this much done, I'm swiftly running out reasons (other than, you know, willingness/time) to not put this together for a map in the HCE competition, so any recommendations on a good backdrop (level) to start from are welcome, etc. I'm a PC modder at heart, so my work will mostly be tagging, scenery movement, etc; never really got the full pipeline to do BSP edits, and never got into much modeling... Considering a race/team race focused map, with ctf and team deathmatch support, with some weapon tweaks to make ground-to-air combat possible, and encourage having a bunch of your friends riding in the passenger seat of a hog, and possibly on a tank...

Anyway, let's see how possible flying tanks are...

(Also, the ghosts and Tucker are to blame for the name of the map)

(SBB) Storm and Takka like this

Tiddy-bits:

That's it; I'm cancelling this competition.

Sudo likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Well, releasing a beta version (no scenario edits, due to Sapien deciding it doesn't like me...

link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvnpz9mb8ho0b64/deathspiral.zip?dl=0

In short, the banshees are suicidal ramming machines with no ranged attack, the hogs are elegant and beautiful flying machines, the ghosts are annoying, it's daytime, and everything else needs Sapien to stop complaining at me, which will have to be a version 2.

In short, this is almost a mockery of CE development! For modding this, I actually ended up using Harbinger to convert to PC (Pearl 2 took a crap over my face, and refused to work) and used HMT to edit models. That being said, I intend to make this as much fun to play as possible, with at least some mind towards balance... though the key feature is and always will be flying warthogs.

Takka and (SBB) Storm like this

This could actually be really cool; it has a few creative mechanics to it already. I'd love to see this polished up and more work done on the playing field.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.