What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
(SBB) Storm

Two German Eurofighter Typhoon Jets Collide

156138985285917.jpg

Two Eurofighters of the Luftwaffe trainings squad collided each other while on an airfight simulation. Both pilotes exited the planes. The first pilot was found alive, the second pilot is dead, body parts found in several locations. Both planes headed to the ground and had their impact in and near a forest. Footage before crashing and after the collision.

Spoiler

Two Eurofighter military jets crashed in the northeastern German state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania on Monday, Germany's air force said.

Both pilots ejected and one of the pilots was found alive, hanging in a tree canopy. More than an hour later, a major search was still underway for the second pilot.

Public broadcaster NDR later reported the second pilot had died, while police reported finding human remains in the region.

The Luftwaffe said the pilots were part of a trio of Eurofighters flying a mission out of Laage, near Rostock. 

They were part of the Tactical Air Force Wing 73, known as "Steinhoff," a fighter wing that specializes in general air defence and is the chief training center for pilots of the Eurofighter Typhoon in Germany.

The aircraft collided shortly before 2:00 p.m. local time (12:00 UTC) near Lake Müritz, about 120 kilometers (75 miles) north of Berlin.

Witnesses shared video footage of two smoking areas, reportedly about 10 kilometers apart. At least part of the wreckage fell on the area of Malchow, with police warning people not to approach.

There were conflicting reports on whether the aircraft were carrying ammunition, however the Luftwaffe later denied they were loaded.

The state interior minister was due to fly in to the area to manage the situation.

The crashes triggered fires, but they were extinguished in the next hours.

Source

Official Luftwaffe Twitter (German)

Tiddy-bits:

That's rough.. I wonder what happened if they know the one that died had ejected, yet they found pieces of him. Got caught in the debris maybe?

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

1 minute ago, Tucker933 said:

That's rough.. I wonder what happened if they know the one that died had ejected, yet they found pieces of him. Got caught in the debris maybe?

The investigation is ongoing, though the key could be which parts of the jets were collided. This was the second pilot's jet:

156139145878221.jpg

Debris was plenty, such as the pilot's seat itself and the GPS device inside of it.

the second pilot is dead, body parts found in several locations

Yeah, that'd do it. 

I'm curious to know if the collision was head-on or parallel. Based on the second pilot's body condition, I'd assume a parallel strike, having ejected into a debris cloud or hitting the other Typhoon. 

9 hours ago, Weps said:

Yeah, that'd do it. 

I'm curious to know if the collision was head-on or parallel. Based on the second pilot's body condition, I'd assume a parallel strike, having ejected into a debris cloud or hitting the other Typhoon. 

Judging by the picture above it looks like somehow the pilot may have hit the underside of the other eurofighter. Either the top one descending or the bottom one ascending into the other one.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365