Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sunstriker7

MCC for PC Info Thread

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is intended to be a one-stop destination for up-to-date information about the Master Chief Collection for PC. If any of you have corrections or more information please reply and share it and I'll edit this post.

I'll start with what everyone is going to want.

Release Date:

There currently is no release date, although Reach is slated to release first on it in 2019. A newsletter by one of the developers also suggests all the games on it will also be released in 2019

Beta Test:

From June 28th to July 1st is a very small test of less than 1,000 registered Halo Insiders. It included only the Tip of the Spear mission and the primary goal is to test rolling out builds via Steam at a large scale. A secondary goal is to get feedback on the mouse and keyboard controls and overall game "feel" on PC. The devs also released 15 minutes of 4K gameplay, but there's also no NDA so there's other footage as well.

Source

More beta tests will follow but they are currently unannounced.

4k Beta Footage Video

Spoiler

Games included:

• Halo: Reach
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
  • Halo 3: ODST (minus the firefight mode)
  • Halo 3
  • Halo 4

There are no plans for Halo 5.

The collection will be sold on PC as individual titles, and then they'll be sold as a package when they're all released. The individual pricing is said to be 10 USD for each game except ODST which is 5 USD.

The games will release in chronological order of the series lore timeline, which means Reach is first and Halo: 4 is last.

Developers:

• 343 Industries
  • Ruffian Games
  • Splash Damage

It is being sold on the Microsoft store and Steam. You'll need a Microsoft account to play the collection on Steam but not Xbox Live Gold.

Here's a list of notable features that have been confirmed:

• 4k resolution
  • HDR
  • mouse and keyboard support (343 says great m&k controls is their "top priority")
  • 16:9, 21:9, 16:10, 3:2, and 4:3 display modes
  • 144hz displays (the developers plan for uncapped frames for all games but that probably won't happen)
  • FOV silders (their functionality will probably vary from game to game)
  • Split screen is most likely not going to happen at all but it hasn't been officially cut (don't get your hopes up)
  • Cross-platform play (won't be at launch but could possibly be down the road)
  • Reach will not launch with Forge or Theater, but rather around the time Halo 3 and 4 are released
  • Compatible with Windows 7 and 10, with Windows 8 "being investigated" (lol)
  • The MCC will have a custom games browser for both PC and Xbox One (but not support community-hosted dedicated servers. It also probably won't be included at launch)
  • Anti-cheat
  • The collection will have multiplayer progression in the spirit of Halo: Reach. More specific info on that is in the source link below.
  • Multiplayer progression carries over across platforms. Single player does not.
  • Firefight matchmaking in Reach will be hosted on dedicated servers and use an asynchronous network model for improved performance over the original's laggy mess. 

Here is a list of features that are officially not going to be in the MCC for PC:

• Community hosted dedicated servers
  • Connecting via direct IP
  • Modding tools/mod support/steam workshop (the developers have said that it will not be supported at launch but possibly could later. if it happens at all, it will be much, much later)
  • Halo: Reach unlocks and progression from the original game on Xbox 360 will NOT carry over to MCC.

Legacy Content Migration:

A one-time service for bringing game types and maps from your profile’s original Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4 Xbox 360 file share to the MCC file share on Xbox One will be performed in two stages. Game types will be migrated at 10 AM PST on 8/12 and maps will be migrated at 10 AM PST on 8/26. Screenshots, film clips, and films will not be transferred. To get your stuff transferred simply load up Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4 on your Xbox 360 (or on your Xbox One via back-compat) and ensure the local files you want to copy over to MCC are uploaded to your file share before each pull. Ensure your game types are uploaded before August 12. On the 12, please leave them there for at least 24 hours without altering. After that, please take some time to place your maps on your file shares before August 26. If you can’t get to your Xbox 360 or update your file share, don’t worry as the game types and maps already uploaded will still make their way to MCC.

Here is an archive of the first look livestream of Halo: Reach. The video doesn't show any multiplayer footage.

Spoiler

Source for all the above material.

There was an AMA on Reddit hosted by Ske7ch and the mods on the Halo Waypoint forums collected the list for your viewing pleasure. It is reproduced here because I'm a really, really nice guy.

Spoiler

Q. Since MCC on PC will see the games being released chronologically over a period of time, does the team currently have any idea or goals to what that time frame might look like in between each release? Is there currently an internal roadmap that we might be able to get a peak at?

A. Right now the priority is getting Halo: Reach ready for public flighting and work is underway almost in parallel for Halo: CE, which will be the second game. Ultimately we want to get these games into player's hands as soon as possible. We're hesitant to commit to a firm time frame because the truth is they're ready when they're ready. Flighting will be critical to help us get these titles to a great place and depending on how that goes, it could lengthen or extend the release cadence. We'll definitely share more details as we start ramping up flighting.

Q. My question is will MCC have modding tools and/or Steam Workshop support? And splitscreen?

A. We are working closely with the members of the modding community (including some friends on the ElDewrito team) to explore our options for "official" mod support, but we won't have this at launch. Our #1 priority for launch is ensuring we get each of these core games "right" for PC and security/anti-cheat is a big focus. As we've stated, this entire offering will grow and evolve over time.

Q. Will the upcoming custom games browser support community dedicated servers, like those found in Halo PC?

A. This is a topic of discussion here but currently this isn't something we're able to commit to in terms of actual community-hosted dedicated servers. A custom games browser is of course very important to us and something we're looking forward to bringing to MCC on PC and Xbox One.

Q. Will the pack be purchasable as a whole or our only option will be to buy the games separately? Also, just to make sure, will Windows 7 and 8 be supported on the Steam version?

A. Both - It's the players choice if they'd like to purchase each of the games within MCC one-by-one as they release or wait and pick them all up at the end.
Currently our focus is on Win10 and Win7. Win8 is still being investigated.

Q. Can you buy the whole package immediately and wait until other games are available. Like a season pass of sorts.

A. Players can purchase each title one-by-one along the way or wait until the collection is complete at the end. We don't have any plans for a 'season pass' model.
For context, it gets tricky when we have a flexible release plan that ties to flighting and ongoing development - it's hard to definitively promise a player when they'll get the thing they paid for (or even what features may or may not be there at one time). We have to get this right on PC and do so in a way that doesn't potentially upset customers.

Q. Any estimate for the price of each game?

A. We'll have more to share on pricing specifics in the future - our prioritiy now is just getting Halo: Reach flighting ready to go.

Q. Seeing that a Xbox Live account will be required, will progress / multiplayer progression carry over from console to PC (ie: Halo Reach multiplayer ranks and unlocked armors)?

A. Within MCC, yes, your progress and progression will carry-over between the console and PC versions. All stats, achievements, Forged maps, and game variants will be shared between all of the games within MCC. Mid mission saves will be unique to each platform and cannot be shared.
Your Halo: Reach unlocks and progression from the original game on Xbox 360 will NOT carry over to MCC.
And as a reminder, MCC on Steam will require a free Microsoft Account, but not Xbox Live Gold.

Q. Should we expect to see the same amazing Ranking/Credit system in Halo:Reach like it was in the past?

A. First, we're happy to say that Halo: Reach in MCC will in fact have the same level of "mix and match" customization found in the original games (all the individual armor pieces, etc..). As to how it's earned, we are exploring a new and deeper progression system that retains the feel of the old systems and blends them with newer models for game progression (all based on in-game play, no type of monetization or anything of that nature)

Q. Will Halo 3 armor be fixed too? I really want to mix and match sets instead of having presets like MCC currently has.

A. Priority one is getting MCC from Xbox One to PC in the right way, as a great PC experience. The current development roadmap for launch doesn't include re-doing how Halo 3 customziation works within MCC but we know this is something fans have been asking for and we will continue to evaluate options for the future. We would like to deliver multi-part armor customization. Halo: Reach will be the first title to support this and we will investigate what is possible for other titles that included armor pieces.

Q. Will it have some form of Anti Cheat?

A. Yes! And we'll share more details down the road.

Q. In regards to framerates, will Reach be playable at 144 fps? Better yet, will there be a framerate cap at all?

A. Current plan is to support 'uncapped FPS' in each title. But, as we move deeper into development on each title, we'll have to determine what's feasible within each game.

Q. Will the PC versions of the games be rebalanced in any way for the sake of adapting to KB+M play?

A. Delivering great KB+M controls is one of our top priorities. We are exploring different ways to make a balanced, fun experience for PC and will share more details in the future.

Q. What kind of turnout can we expect for the flight testing? Will most players who sign up be accepted, or will the process be highly selective?

A. We've been blown away by the interest and support for the Halo Insider program! Our goal is to balance accepting as many as possible against the specific needs for a particular flight.

Q. Will there be 144hz support for all of the games?

A. Yes, the goal is to support 144hz+ for all of the games in MCC, though as with things like FOV sliders and framerates, it could vary slightly by title.

Q. Will there be local splitscreen multiplayer/campaign

A. This one is tricky and the team is still looking at what can be supported.

Q. Will it be possible for those who own MCC digitally on Xbox be able to play/own the game on PC via "Play Anywhere"?

A. As Bonnie noted on Sunday, we appreciate all of the Xbox One players who have supported MCC over the years and we realize that many existing MCC players are also interested in playing the game on PC. While MCC was released prior to the Xbox Play anywhere program, we are still exploring ways to recognize the continued support of our Xbox One players so they are also able to enjoy MCC on PC. We will have more details as we get closer to launch.

Q. PC System requirements?

A. Ultimately, flighting and the results of those tests will help finalize the min specs but we want to support the widest range of hardware possible. We'll definitely share spec details soon.

Q. Will there be dedicated servers for Reach?

A. Our goal is to continue using dedicated servers to power the matchmaking experiences within MCC. We'll definitely share more details as development progresses.

Q. How many people are working on MCC?

A. While the majority of 343 is hard at work on Halo Infinite, the Publishing Team has partnered with Ruffian and Splash Damage to hep us bring this ambitious project to life. When flighting kicks off, Halo Insiders will also be partnering with us.

Q. Will Crossplay be available for MCC on PC?

A. PC players will be able to play together regardless of which store they choose to purchase from. In terms of Xbox One to PC crossplay, it's not something we're currently committing to at launch but it is top of mind and the team is actively investigating this.

Edited by Sunstriker7
Added section about legacy content migration

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Posted (edited)

I might've missed it but when you buy MCC, you get access to the multiplayer content for free. So after Reach, Halo 1 will come out and you will automatically have access to Halo 1's multiplayer.
You only have to pay for the singleplayer content on top of the MCC base game if you want that content.
I'm unaware if this is already how it is on the Xbox.
And modding support is being looked at as a potential thing that can happen. I think the video you shared actually has the dev state that.

Edited by ShikuTeshi
Sunstriker7 likes this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

I just looked into it and while I couldn't dredge up an official source on that I did find this forum discussion. To quote one comment: " Reach multiplayer will be a free update on xbox, but the campaign and firefight will be a paid dlc..."

If I can find an official source I would gladly put it up.

If it turns out they can't get an uncapped frame rate working with Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary, then I will make additional memes that make fun of them.

Anyway, here's stuff that has more-or-less been deconfirmed:

• Community-owned dedicated servers (explicitly deconfirmed)
  • Modding (implicitly deconfirmed if anticheat is forced)
  • Connecting via direct IP (implicitly deconfirmed since you have to use the server browser or Xbox Live)

And here's stuff that is probably not going to be in the game but hasn't been explicitly or implicitly deconfirmed:

• Split screen (I know they said it's "on the table" but that's most likely PR talk for "That sounds cool but no")
  • Unlocked frame rates on all games
  • Custom singleplayer maps in Halo CE: Anniversary (custom multiplayer maps have been heavily rumored, but even that is iffy)
  • Original HUD or sounds in Halo CE: Anniversary (they have refused to do it on Xbox One, so they probably won't do it on PC)
  • Various Custom Edition fixes being in Halo CE: Anniversary (enjoy your moon-sized sun at 4K or your 30 FPS particles)
Tucker933 and Sunstriker7 like this

Only around 100 people got access for this first run. We don't know when they plan to do another.

Sunstriker7 likes this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

Thanks guys. Updated original post.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:41 PM, Kavawuvi said:

If it turns out they can't get an uncapped frame rate working with Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary, then I will make additional memes that make fun of them.

From what I remember, it seemed like they used the same method you did with interpolation to get 60 FPS working in HCE. The bug where sometimes weapons would get stuck and spin causing LOTS of noise is present just like with Chimera.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

On 7/31/2019 at 11:03 PM, ShikuTeshi said:

In talking with the team, it is easy to see that at the core the goal is to make CE as close to parity as possible. With CE coming to PC, we won’t be able to address every reported issue, however we believe the community eventually will, once broader mod support and functionality arrives.

At least they're upfront about it.

I've been asked a lot of times about porting Chimera features to MCC, and I basically answered this on my Chimera Discord, but here's basically the summary of it: As amazing as an opportunity it would be to mod Halo CE Anniversary, I'm probably not going to buy it. I don't have a lot of money, and I certainly can't justify spending $10 on a PC game I already own on the PC. Also, I don't want to release a fix for the game that bans you from Xbox Live. Ideally, they'd make it so if you have mods, anticheat gets disabled (obviously no matchmaking and stuff but that's fine). However, they could also have it so if you even so much as think about fixing the fog in Assault on the Control Room, you'll take a well deserved VACation from Xbox Live

Halo 3 PC looks cool though.

Sunstriker7 likes this