What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
PopeTX28

WIP Quadra-Stasis

26 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

On 6/18/2019 at 5:49 PM, PopeTX28 said:

My main goal for this map is to feature all 4 factions in halo ce: UNSC, Covenant, Forerunner, and Flood. UNSC and Covenant factions will be represented as team bases. Each base will have the same layout, but different architectural styles. Red base will be UNSC themed, Blue base will be Covenant themed. Forerunner structures will be located towards the center areas of the map. Flood environments will be found in underground areas (as if the infection was contained behind doors).

4 structures with identical layouts but 2 of them are being used as actual bases? As interesting as it is to see the same layout envisioned in the different faction styles, I think you might be limiting the gameplay appeal by doing this. If you haven't started on the Forerunner or Flood stuff yet, I'd suggest mixing their designs up a little.

Only critique about the bases so far is I'm not loving how much some of the panel textures are tiling and I feel like the Covenent would have their own style of light bridges (see Halo 2 Midship) instead of the Forerunner ones. Looks like the Covenent base doesn't have as much cover on the top of it. Are you planning to use the field shield generator scenery things instead? If so, keep in mind that they won't function identically to nice BSP rooted cover like the Human base has, so the Human base would have a defense advantage.

PopeTX28 likes this

16 hours ago, DSalimander said:

4 structures with identical layouts but 2 of them are being used as actual bases? As interesting as it is to see the same layout envisioned in the different faction styles, I think you might be limiting the gameplay appeal by doing this. If you haven't started on the Forerunner or Flood stuff yet, I'd suggest mixing their designs up a little.

Only critique about the bases so far is I'm not loving how much some of the panel textures are tiling and I feel like the Covenent would have their own style of light bridges (see Halo 2 Midship) instead of the Forerunner ones. Looks like the Covenent base doesn't have as much cover on the top of it. Are you planning to use the field shield generator scenery things instead? If so, keep in mind that they won't function identically to nice BSP rooted cover like the Human base has, so the Human base would have a defense advantage.

Yeah, I'm just experimenting with having 4 different factions in one map. It might not be optimal gameplay wise, but I'm more focused on making this map for fun. But no, all 4 structures will not have identical layouts. Only the covenant base and UNSC base. The forerunner structure will be its own centralized structure, and the flood infested areas will be contained inside the centralized forerunner structure.

I might do something about the light bridge texture, maybe just steal the plasma texture from the jack shield. Or like you said, steal the midship one from halo 2. In-game it doesn't look too bad right now as a light bridge, but I see your point. The tiling is honestly not bad in-game, but some of the textures do show up as highly repetitive. I may need to change up some of the consistency.

Yeah, I was planning on using the field shield generator. But I see your point about the human shield having the advantage. Isn't there a way to disable the shield generator from being destructible when damaged? Even if that's the case, I don't know if it would protect the player from rocket fire/grenades. I'll probably come up with a custom shield design that can be integrated onto the bsp.

Thanks DSal

Edited by PopeTX28
DSalimander likes this

I was going to be very sad if you couldn't make it.

Don't get lost up there in the great big North! Stay hydrated.

PopeTX28 likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Just now, Tucker933 said:

I was going to be very sad if you couldn't make it.

Don't get lost up there in the great big North! Stay hydrated.

Thanks! Juneau should be fun. I plan on doing a lot of fishing.

If you plan to keep this fog then I think you could just not add any portals do the map. All of the geometry that's far enough to be completely covered by fog doesn't render.

08f9474ede.jpg

Obvious bugs aside, this has some promise. Not sure about the view distance dictated by the fog, but could definitely be an interesting layout. Covenant base looked fantastic, but Human base could use more pizzazz.

Looking forward to seeing the release when you've had proper time for it!

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Thanks guys. The overall map is only 1/2 the size of bloodgulch. Expect it to be timberland/bloodgulch size. The fog will most likely be toned down big time, so portals will certainly be implemented. I just didnt have the time to implement them.

I can tell you all, if I had the extra 4-5 days, the map would have been better. So expect some good things for the final product. 

Also Storm, I think I got lucky with you being unable to reach the flag from underneath haha. 

Takka and (SBB) Storm like this