What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Do you use Celsius or Fahrenheit for CPU/GPU temperatures?

What temperature scale do you use for measuring CPU temperatures?   8 members have voted

1. 1. What temperature scale do you use for measuring CPU temperatures?

• Celsius / Kelvin (Metric)
    • Fahrenheit / Rankine ('Murica)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Celsius is more-or-less an international 0-100 scale for the temperature of liquid water at one atmosphere of pressure. From what I've seen, many/most technology enthusiasts (even those who live in the United States) use Celsius for measuring PC temperatures. I've also seen a few people use Fahrenheit.

Feel free to comment on why you use your choice of scale.

Sunstriker7 and Takka like this

Tiddy-bits:

Celsius because that's what speedfan defaults to and virtually all published benchmarks use. I don't even know what a normal operating temperature is in Fahrenheit, but I know my computer does a safety shutdown at 80C lol

Pretty much no one knows what fahrenheit temperatures mean when it comes to computers, because nothing reports that by default, which makes sense because no one uses it for scientific purposes anymore either.

I can't wait 'till we finally tell fahrenheit to fuck off.

Sunstriker7, Sceny, tarikja and 1 other like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

I use Celsius because it makes sense, and it is what everything reports it in. 100 degrees is approximately when water boils, and it's also approximately when CPUs turn off. How convenient!

Strangely, some people do Fahrenheit for temperature, and I know a few people who do. It's a little hard to communicate to them with that as temperatures like 170 F is meaningless to me, and 77 C is meaningless to them. Sure, 170 F is 42 F less than 212 F, but how much of a difference is 42 F? A big difference? A little? Just how hot is this fucker?

We probably won't be alive when the United States finally switches to the Metric system, but I hope it does one day because using bullshit units to measure things gets tiring.

Sunstriker7 likes this

I feel like it'll only happen when a Mars colony finally takes off, because it would obviously be all SI, and would become the main focus of advanced technology rather than how the US has been in large part. We'll then find that we have to change to remain relevant. If the US was some small less-consequential country, we would've switched ages ago; we haven't because we can afford not to.

I use Celsius since that's the most common measurement used for tech talk stuff while I was learning about said tech stuff. Didn't want to be bothered trying to convert to Fahrenheit and started to think about it like 0-100% danger load.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

The software bundled with my GPU for overclocking doesn't even have an option for Fahrenheit. If it did I would totally use it though.

FREEDOM UNITS FTW

20 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

Strangely, some people do Fahrenheit for temperature, and I know a few people who do. It's a little hard to communicate to them with that as temperatures like 170 F is meaningless to me, and 77 C is meaningless to them. Sure, 170 F is 42 F less than 212 F, but how much of a difference is 42 F? A big difference? A little? Just how hot is this fucker?

As someone who works construction, I bemoan this sort of thing constantly. We literally use construction calculators to do things like subtracting 17 feet 7 3/4 inches from 32 feet 11 1/2 inches to make sure there's less room for human error because it gets so dense to do tons of math like that. If instead we just said 1004.5cm - 537.8cm it'd be simple, no special stupid calculator for feet and fractions.

The simplicity of the metric system and the convenience of its scale is tough to beat.

I worked with a guy last year that took "Metric makes more sense" and "Metric is better" as fighting words. It would somehow trigger a deep anger.

It's a simple choice for me to use Celsius really, mainly for one because it's the unit that the vast majority of people use/grow up with so why would I swap over to Fahrenheit randomly? For some reason my dad has taken to using Farenheit as a general unit of measurement which I find really hard to comprehended. From a PC perspective though, I'm Celsius all the way. As mentioned as well, it helps my tiny brain to understand what is happening. 100C is a big NOPE temperature whilst 0 is probably a more concerning one in the context of my computer. Just makes more sense really, that's all I can say. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0