What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vuthakral

Reactant - Map WIP

22 posts in this topic

Reactant

Reactant is a map I have started which is themed around a Halo CE-esque forerunner installation in a large long-settled sinkhole somewhere on installation 04. It is an almost-BTB (e.g. plays optimally in 4v4-6v6, but 8v8 might get hectic), asymmetrical, objective based map. I'm terrible at drawing diagrams so just try to interpret my words as well as you can on this.

Gameplay: As stated above, a big team battle oriented map with an asymmetrical design in a massive pit.

Level Design: Open-ended paths for both the footsoldier and vehicle use. This map will support a single neutral banshee. A few tunnels and forerunner interiors dot the edges of the map, with a giant open central space.

Tags?: Stock Halo CE tags, but compiled with the refined tagset. So you get all the lovely bugfixes and xbox-esque shaders.

Lore: (for those of you who care for a tiny bit of backstory to maps) Reactant is a forerunner power station, traditionally these structures are buried underground, however this one has been unearthed due to a mechanical failure deep underneath the ring's surface, causing a massive sinkhole in the surface of the ring.

This pictures is outdated but I'm not going to remove it, just for the sake of letting people in the future reading this see how I approached making this map. This was the first screenshot of the map I took where I felt the general shape of the map was good enough to show off.

3p10M1H.png

Takka, (SBB) Storm and Pfhunkie like this

Tiddy-bits:

It's been a while since I've seen you mapping!

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

1 minute ago, Vuthakral said:

I don't think "never done before" and "a while" coincide lol

Yeah to be honest I couldn't think of a map you did lol but know you've done a good amount of work in the past.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Is that a sacrificial ledge with a seemingly bottomless pit I can throw myself off of to escape this 100 degree weather?

Takka and Vuthakral like this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

Thrown what I have done so far in-game because these screenshots really don't do a good job of giving a proper sense of scale.

Obviously, still heavy WIP. I'm really not too happy with the flag room design I have right now and might redo it. It just feels way too much like it'll be a choke-point.

Halo_CEA_Complete_Soundtrack_06_-_Assaul

(this next one below is actually just an underground hallway teleporter room, not connected to team bases at all.)

(this one below here is the team base / flag room that I'm currently not happy with the design of)

Takka likes this

Here's some more progress for the map's bsp. I've mostly been tweaking stuff back and forth with the map itself in the name of gameplay concern Changes include making the map's play area about twice as wide as it previously was, more vertical variation in the terrain, further increased the depth of the upper walkway area, added a little more natural curve to some of the cliff walls, and of course I got the waterfall in now.

Unfortunately, I don't have this version of the bsp exported from Maya to show anything in-game yet as I am still working on the bases.

Kindly ignore the grody looking top of the map, it's going to be a grassy hillscape in the final, and is not a playable area.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

And then here's my current progress on the new team bases. I opted to take some design choices from the original CE maps (sidewinder, timberland, etc) and go for a two story base that's embedded into the cliffs design.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Takka, DSalimander, PopeTX28 and 1 other like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0