Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

DSalimander

LongShot Map Dev

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On 7/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, PopeTX28 said:

Are you going to do something special for Round 2 btw? Just curious.

Somehow I didn't see your post until today. I really did jump into this quicker than I should have since I misread the deadline. In the moment I was having fun trying to challenge myself with that 4 hour time restraint. Because of this, I made a second mistake by not looking at the previous contests' entries and winners to get a better feel of what I should expect. I remember your map Hemoasis won because somebody showed it to me and briefly mentioned why it was made. Very cool map and good publicity for this website too. But looking back at that first contest, the second place was some LUA scripted minigame thing. And now in this contest there's another LUA scripted minigame thing! I feel like these minigame maps are sort of unfair because very few people know LUA scripting and people are really easy to impress with LUA scripts. Supply and demand I suppose. (Honestly makes me sick looking at 002's SAPP script bounty thread because he's the most capable person of doing what he's trying to bribe others to do.) Top these minigames off with some retro nostalgia and you've got a proven strong contender. At the time of me writing this, aLTis's Halo Invaders is leading the poll and I'm feeling disappointed that I have to compete with it. I assumed the map contest was for fully developed MP maps. Somebody has to make an MP map as good as Hemoasis or better to win and frankly that's an impressive amount of work. I've been trying to get a map concept made, but can't bring myself to officially begin work on it because I have growing doubts about being able to win--regardless of what I submit. I'd be fine with going against you and probably letting you win, but apparently beating you would be the easier task if going against minigames. I hate having to whine about it like a sore loser but that's how I feel.

Edited by DSalimander
Added quote for context b/c new page.

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

You're going to be releasing something people play, and even if you don't place in the top 3, you in particular are still getting a prize in the form of tickets. I could see a map of the quality of Ballyhoo winning, and while you're stuck with this project if you want to go on to Round 2, you can still refine the fuck out of it and probably get it comparable. Not to mention you'll probably qualify for 15 tickets by making it to the Outstanding Maps list.

Scripted minigames are flashy and creative, but generally don't have the depth you can accomplish with a traditional map, and as you mentioned, they've never actually won these competitions. I believe aLTis' map is pulling so far ahead right now because it was the most complete of all entries. There's still more than a month to go.

I've also just added another "Additional Prize" for maps voted on as having the most improvement over their Round 1 entry.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:08 AM, Tucker933 said:

You're going to be releasing something people play, and even if you don't place in the top 3, you in particular are still getting a prize in the form of tickets. I could see a map of the quality of Ballyhoo winning, and while you're stuck with this project if you want to go on to Round 2, you can still refine the fuck out of it and probably get it comparable. Not to mention you'll probably qualify for 15 tickets by making it to the Outstanding Maps list.

Let's be realistic here- most new maps don't get played as much as they should. Sadly these days you only make maps for you and your friends to enjoy, or contests. I suppose you're right about simply settling for the Outstanding Maps tickets if money is your motivator. But the contest also makes it fun and competitive. (Plus you win money directly instead of gambling with the raffle.)

Scripted minigames are flashy and creative, but generally don't have the depth you can accomplish with a traditional map, and as you mentioned, they've never actually won these competitions. I believe aLTis' map is pulling so far ahead right now because it was the most complete of all entries. There's still more than a month to go.

I keep drawing parallels to the first contest. (Second contest had no minigames IIRC.) What you should to take away from that first contest is exactly how close first and second places were. The reason Pope's map barely won is because it was exceptionally well done. Way better than a majority of the maps in existence. Good luck coming even close to Pope's modeling skills. Whereas second place was... yeah. These minigames are cool and all but it's comparable to being in different weight classes in MMA. Same goes for SP maps. And a side note- the stipulation that people can use any build of Chimera they want is a little circle-jerky and weren't the builds that allowed client LUA purposely discontinued because they're potentially exploitable?

I've also just added another "Additional Prize" for maps voted on as having the most improvement over their Round 1 entry.

Speaking of which, I swear I never saw any mention that the Round 2 project had to be a continuation of the Round 1 entry until one of the second to last edits of the contest submission OP. I guess I need to get my eyes checked. My assumption was you could enter as many maps per round as you want. Seems like people only released half-assed maps in Round 1 not to win it, but to get to Round 2 because that's where the good prizes are. If I'm forced to only work on refining LongShot, then I have to respectfully pull out of Round 2. LongShot's core level layout is intentionally ridiculous. I appreciate you believing I could turn it around into something better (even winning that additional prize you just announced), but dedicating a month to trying to make the map not suck isn't desirable. I've had to do that too many times for the NHE maps.

1 hour ago, DSalimander said:

Speaking of which, I swear I never saw any mention that the Round 2 project had to be a continuation of the Round 1 until one of the second to last edits of the contest submission OP.

Submissions will suffer 2 rounds of voting, each with a 5-day duration to help maintain development schedules and heighten competition over the 2 month period.

That part was in the OP since it was first posted, however I did make attempts to make it clearer with a later edit. Sorry =|