• Windows XP
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • Linux
    • Mac OS
    • Android

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
12 posts in this topic

Curious what the spread is out there these days.

If your OS isn't on the list, post it and I'll (maybe) add it.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

I don't work at this very moment, but for college, I use either my main operating system, Arch Linux, or I use Microsoft Windows 10. It all depends on the software that I need to use. Personally, I find Linux to be better for programming, but Windows 10 has better compatibility with some software. Generally, the software I use for college is the same as what some professional software developers use.

blitzburns4 likes this

I'd add all the Linux distros but there are so many.. so I'll just keep it to a blanket option lol

I use Windows 7 at home and in the office, while my work laptop has Windows 10, and I also use my Android phone for probably 40% of field work. I really need to get off of Windows 7, considering the current security issues with it and Chrome, but I've been so endlessly busy that I like the comfort of how my devices are currently set up just right.

I actually own a copy of Windows 10, which I bought like 2 years ago; just never installed.

Windows 10 for my primary workstation, Server 2008/2012 R2 for my Citrix jump boxes for RDP, and then Solaris 10/11 and RHEL 6 for jump boxes for SSH depending on the domains they're associated with.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

3 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

I'd add all the Linux distros but there are so many.. so I'll just keep it to a blanket option lol

That's fair. I'd have done that, too. Most Linux distros run the same software. The main differences are in included software, the included desktop interface, release schedules, the package manager, maintenance, and other stuff.

I work construction and I use my android phone when I need to look something up. At the office where the owners dick off they use windows 10.

I'm a student but have been using the same shitbox Macbook (that's cracked, dented, and has a penny stuck in the diskdrive) Pro Labtop since 2011 when I was in high school like eight years ago. 

Surprisingly, it's held up pretty well. All I use it for is typing out word docs, and to stream anime, hulu, amazon, netflix, etc. If there's a more serious program I need; these days you can "stream" programs you need to use online. (Powerpoint)

And of course I'm using it right now to stalk you guys on the discord.

Edited by blitzburns4

a992ae08-e9d5-4370-b077-011e3a82a78a_zps4de3f30c.jpg

Some slow af Windows 7 for IT/office related things while distributed control systems (DCS) are used for all the important stuff.

Why doesn't anyone use poor ol' Vista anymore? =[