Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sour Patch

Scenery tags

Hi. I've imported two scenery tags that aren't behaving the same as the ones already on the map.

They are both bushes/plants.

The issue with the first is that the leaves disappear at a certain distance, but it's branches/stems stay the same at any distance. So they look nice and dense up close, but at distance they look bare and dead.

The issue with the second is that it appears to have a shiny stem/trunk "shiny" on one side but not the other. The map has a night time setting so this looks weird compared to the other plants and trees as they are equally reflective from 360 degrees.

I've looked at the bitmap preview and it is flat with no painted in shininess, so I think it must be something to do with lightmap or shaders, but I can't find the right thing to adjust/change.

Thank you.

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:51 PM, Sour Patch said:

scenery tags that aren't behaving the same as the ones already on the map

Stuff already on the map is being lit with help of the lightmaps. Newly placed scenery may look odd because the lightmaps need to be regenerated. Any time a static object is added/moved/deleted in the scenario, lightmaps should be regenerated. From experience, bushes will appear unnaturally bright until you do so.

leaves disappear at a certain distance, but it's branches/stems stay the same at any distance. So they look nice and dense up close, but at distance they look bare and dead

I assume you are referring to the 'tree_leafy_leaves' shader. If you open up the diffuse bitmap tag, you can see exactly which settings they picked to create the effect you see. Mostly how they're sharpening and limiting mipmap levels to 3. Usually you don't see any bitmap options set by Bungie like this. Takes extra time but really pays off. To tweak these values you need to have the tiff data file and use Tool to convert it each time you make a change inside the bitmap tag. Changes made inside bitmap tags don't take affect until that same bitmap tag is reconverted. Stuff like bushes will always look somewhat terrible in Halo (especially at distance) due to a variety of limitations and manipulation of mipmaps is one creative way to minimize this.

it appears to have a shiny stem/trunk "shiny" on one side but not the other. The map has a night time setting so this looks weird compared to the other plants and trees as they are equally reflective from 360 degrees.

I've looked at the bitmap preview and it is flat with no painted in shininess, so I think it must be something to do with lightmap or shaders, but I can't find the right thing to adjust/change

I assume you are referring to the 'plant_broadleaf...' pieces of scenery. Once again, Bungie did some unusual stuff to these. They decided that the undersides of the leaves should illuminate/glow using a different shader than the topsides. Some Halo swamp flora does indeed glow so that must have been the idea behind this. The effect is produced by shader illumination sourced by a multipurpose bitmap. If you want to kill this effect, you can just revert all the values back to 0 or none in the self-illumination section of "scenery\plants\plant_broadleaf_tall\shaders\broadleaf bottom.shader_model".

Tucker933, Zatarita and Sour Patch like this