Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for modders and technology enthusiasts; have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blitzburns4

News: Quantic Dreams games coming exclusively to Epic Store

Posted (edited)

Sup Opencarnage,

For those out of the loop, Epic Games announced (rather surprisingly) that they obtained the exclusive rights release Quantic Dream's three hit games Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroid: Become Human on pc via their Epic Store. Going beyond the discussion of how frustrating a further fracturing of this already-fractured pc market is, or how sketchy Epic Games has been with Digital Rights Management issues, I personally feel frustrated that these titles are exclusively hogged on a, let us say, niche platform. My personal pc platform of choice is Steam, where I have the bulk of my game collection and network of online friends. So this news really bugs me after the Metro Exodus fiasco.

I can't help but wonder if this announcement by Epic/Quantam coincided with Microsoft partnering with Steam to release their Halo titles on PC. I know that Quantic's founder has mentioned bringing titles to other platforms before, but this feels a lot less like competition and more like undercutting core PC gamers' wishes behind closed doors. There's something altogether tasteless here by Epic, considering their history with us and it just doesn't sit right with me. I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same or if I'm just being petty.

Sincerely,

blitzburns4
Source Quantic Dreams Founder wanting to bring titles to new platforms: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/detroit-maker-quantic-dream-looks-beyond-playstation/
Edited by blitzburns4

a992ae08-e9d5-4370-b077-011e3a82a78a_zps4de3f30c.jpg

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I do like it when there are more platforms to get games, as that encourages competition. For example, GOG is a really cool platform, as there's no DRM, for example. Many Steam games do have DRM, however. GOG offers something that Steam doesn't have, and that's what I want to see. It means we can choose and pick the best option for ourselves.

What Epic Games is doing is not this. Quite a few companies have actually broken promises such as a Steam or GOG release of a game, and they've done this in exchange for whatever money Epic gave them to keep them exclusive to Epic for a year. We aren't getting a better option when they do this. Instead, we're getting shafted. This is anti-competitive.

I have nothing against choosing to release on just Epic Games in itself. Sure, that's disappointing and I probably won't buy that game, but that's it. What is wrong is the way they are being deceitful about it.

Sceny likes this

Hey Kavawuvi,

I think you have a very balanced perspective, which I think makes more sense if you don't have a particular favoritism or predisposition to Steam. I'm not a consistent gamer anymore, and mostly stick to single-player experiences; so the fact that these single-player games can't be purchased or experienced through my main gaming platform of choice (Steam) feels more frustrating than it maybe should. For example, what is the incentive to accomplish achievements if its on a platform that I don't otherwise use?

Glad we agree on Epic being a deceitful company, borderline as bad as EA (or worse) because of how they are flagrantly trying to steal personal information from our computers. I think a good new name for Epic's platform is Epic Fail. 

- Blitzbunrns4

a992ae08-e9d5-4370-b077-011e3a82a78a_zps4de3f30c.jpg