Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for modders and technology enthusiasts; have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Vic Firth

Hosting Halo PC with 32 Player Slots

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I don't know about maximum player limit extensions, but I know from looking at their hosting map that they are either spinning up VM instances in Azure or AWS and claiming to be a dedicated host.


AWS/Linux Administrator | Angry Crab Admin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much @Solaris You will have to pardon me I am not familiar with Azure or AWS, my background is in music composition. Just taking a basic look like you did does it seem like it might be worth checking out?

Edited by Vic Firth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vic Firth said:

Thank you so much @Solaris You will have to pardon me I am not familiar with Azure or AWS, my background is in music composition. Just taking a basic look like you did does it seem like it might be worth checking out?

 

It's obviously fake. Do NOT do it.

 

Here's why it's fake: Halo allocates a fixed amount of memory for players and player machines. Because they only allocate exactly enough for 16 players and player machines, you'd need a heavily modified server AND client for it. Such things do not exist (to my knowledge), and if they did, I doubt you'd find 31 other people with it.

 

Even if it wasn't fake, there aren't any maps that would be good with 32 players, let alone even work with them. Most stock maps would run out of spawns, so you can kiss your dreams of 32-player Chiron TL34 or Blood Gulch goodbye here. And no, meme maps like Coldsnap and Extinction won't work with 32 players either. The only reason these maps are large is because they have vast amounts of empty, useless space. As a result, these maps end up being terrible even with 16 players. Bigass won't be good, either. It may be big, but most of the terrain is just empty and hilly. People will just crowd the bases, assuming there are even enough spawns for 32 players.

 

Personally, I think it's a bad idea and that you will obviously get ripped off if you do it. But if you want to foolishly throw money away for a service that they cannot give you, go right ahead. Be my guest. At least when you complain that it doesn't work, it'll be on the Internet and people will know to stay away from them in the future. Or, of course, you did the smart thing of not doing any business with them.

WaeV, ST34MF0X and Tucker933 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much Kavawuvi for taking the time to help me out. I just didn't understand what Solaris meant. I wasn't trying to question him or doubt him, I just was confused and wasn't sure if he was telling me it was a good idea or bad idea, because I come from a different background. It's like listening to someone speak a foreign language. I am here to listen to you guys and take in your wisdom. That's why I thought I would ask here first before doing anything because I know you guys are all really knowledgeable in this area.

Thank you again, and my apologies for offending you and solaris.

Edited by Vic Firth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vic Firth said:

Thank you so much Kavawuvi for taking the time to help me out. I just didn't understand what Solaris meant. I wasn't trying to question him or doubt him, I just was confused and wasn't sure if he was telling me it was a good idea or bad idea, because I come from a different background. It's like listening to someone speak a foreign language. I am here to listen to you guys and take in your wisdom. That's why I thought I would ask here first before doing anything because I know you guys are all really knowledgeable in this area.

Generally, if you're buying something, you ought to do a little research into what you're buying, even if it's not part of your background. You definitely don't want to get screwed over, here.

 

To explain, AWS and Azure are both cloud computing services provided by Amazon and Microsoft, respectively. If a service is using this, then rather than physically hosting, they are using these services to host it. This is cheaper, as they don't have to purchase the hardware, Internet connection, housing, etc.

 

There is nothing wrong with using AWS or Azure, as doing this is a great way to save money. However, if what @Solaris is saying is true and they are trying to sell VMs as "dedicated" hosts, then there is definitely something shady going on. The fact that they've got a lot of really bad, recent reviews on sites like Trustpilot or that they're trying to sell something that obviously does not exist (32 player Halo servers) doesn't help.

 

7 hours ago, Vic Firth said:

Thank you again, and my apologies for offending you and solaris.

Not to worry. You didn't offend anyone. You simply asked a question, and any good question should deserve a good answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Vic Firth said:

Thank you so much @Solaris You will have to pardon me I am not familiar with Azure or AWS, my background is in music composition. Just taking a basic look like you did does it seem like it might be worth checking out?

I'm only looking at their hosting map. I highly doubt they have servers hosted in every single one of those locations. That would be ridiculously expensive for them. I'm going off the assumption that they're most likely upcharging EC2 instances and creating a managed service for game hosting. If they at least don't even provide maintenance on those servers then you're being ripped off.

 

But I agree, know the technical limitations of the services you want to run. Sounds like a crock of shit they're trying to sell or they just threw some $GAME global variable onto a page template.

 

24 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

To explain, AWS and Azure are both cloud computing services provided by Amazon and Microsoft, respectively. If a service is using this, then rather than physically hosting, they are using these services to host it. This is cheaper, as they don't have to purchase the hardware, Internet connection, housing, etc.

You can still host bare metal in AWS, but it's generally a lot more expensive and really only useful for customers that need to meet some kind of compliance (ie, requirement to not share compute resources with other customers for privacy/security) or licensing. You also have Dedicated Instances, which is like running on a dedicated host on bare metal, except on top of a hypervisor on a single host.


AWS/Linux Administrator | Angry Crab Admin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Solaris said:

You can still host bare metal in AWS, but it's generally a lot more expensive and really only useful for customers that need to meet some kind of compliance (ie, requirement to not share compute resources with other customers for privacy/security) or licensing. You also have Dedicated Instances, which is like running on a dedicated host on bare metal, except on top of a hypervisor on a single host.

Sure, they could very well be using dedicated hosting, but they've not given any reason to be taken at their word, from what I can tell. There are just way too many big red flags that it's probably best to just stay away from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.