Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for modders and technology enthusiasts; have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Vic Firth

Music In Video Games

How often do you notice music in video games? Does the musical score affect your overall opinion of the game? Do you have any favorite video game songs, and why do you like them. Are they your favorite because you like the song, or because of whats happening during the game while the song is playing?

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

The first thing I do is turn music down in a game so its only just audible, can't stand it taking away from other sounds I listen to for my game style.

@Tiamat you dabbled in music for gaming or something didn't you?

Vic Firth and Sceny like this

2ew2skp.png

A good game soundtrack is imo at least equally important as good graphics. I never understood why one would just disable ingame music and instead listen to a custom playlist. Music carries so much of the atmosphere in a game.

Vic Firth likes this

@tarikja I feel the same way, though I must admit I am biased. It's really great hearing from other people what their stance is on this topic. I would have never guessed there are people who actually disable music.

I don't understand how a friend of mine can listen to YouTube when gaming rather than the game sounds or music. No sound is no go but background music rather than it being in your face is good for me.

2ew2skp.png

Music and sound together are the biggest factors of immersion for me. After a while with no music a game is flat and boring unless the ambience is so good that traditional music isn't really necessary (i.e. Dead Space). Multiplayer games are a little different though. When I'm voice chatting in a group in a game like WoW or my brother's minecraft realm I'll turn the music down or off but keep the sound effects. It's not really necessary in that case and it makes it hard to hear other people when the music swells. Attenuation doesn't help much either because when you dramatically attenuate things it's even more annoying.

My best friend though disables like all sounds from his games and listens to dubstep playlists on youtube. Blows my mind.

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

so music in games is a big thing for me, it can make or break the game. It also heavily depends on wither we're talking something that's composed for the game (EG Halo's soundtrack) or something like an in game radio (EG Forza games/GTA games). A good soundtrack needs every track to go very well with the momment/situation it plays in, if your hearing some high tempo beat while exploring say, a building by a river in the middle of nowhere, that doesn't work. 

In game radios dont have that specific problem, because of their nature as radios. BUT they do have a separate problem. They have to be able to hit as broad a taste spectrum as possible, while still being good, and fitting the world they're being played in. There's also an issue of diversity, nobody wants to hear the same set of 5 songs play again and again. Ideally a game should have about 30 good tracks per radio station, but that's difficult to do because music licensing is expensive, and in a lot of cases, hard to get for certain types of games.

In my opinion they have to be memorable, fit the game they're in, and not repetitive. 

A big chunk of my taste in music actually comes from the games i play, because i don't really listen to the radio a lot, almost ever.

I got a taste of older music playing fallout games and mafia 2, i got into orchestral music because of the halo series, and i listen to punk because of the old tony hawk games. Good soundtracks should leave a mark on the person playing the game.

Edited by Anthony

RxoL70s.png

<00:52:19> "Pandora": dance bitch dance

On 2/10/2019 at 8:34 AM, Anthony said:

so music in games is a big thing for me, it can make or break the game. It also heavily depends on wither we're talking something that's composed for the game (EG Halo's soundtrack) or something like an in game radio (EG Forza games/GTA games). A good soundtrack needs every track to go very well with the momment/situation it plays in, if your hearing some high tempo beat while exploring say, a building by a river in the middle of nowhere, that doesn't work. 

In my opinion they have to be memorable, fit the game they're in, and not repetitive. 

If you don't mind me borrowing your post for a second, because I agree with your main points and just want to say that I think a really great example of this is Starcraft: Brood War's soundtrack, which I would put right up there just below Halo in how memorable, well-fitting, and non-reptitive it is. One of the biggest disappointments of Starcraft 2 was its ost, so I second @Sunstriker7 here that the game's soundtrack/ambiance is just as--or damn-near as close to--being as important as the game's graphics and is too-often neglected. The Bungie Halo games fundamentally understood this and I attribute the ost as a major reason for the original games' success. The only other games that I think came close to having as good of a soundtrack were either Half Life or the old DOOM.  

Edited by blitzburns4

a992ae08-e9d5-4370-b077-011e3a82a78a_zps4de3f30c.jpg