Kavawuvi

Dark Circlet

18 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

I'm considering whether to go with Vulkan over OpenGL right now. I originally planned writing an OpenGL renderer and writing a Vulkan one later, but writing a Vulkan one now may be better for performance, especially on Linux.

This does mean that this renderer will not run on certain old hardware, and it will take a little longer to write. According to this page, this is the hardware you'd need:

• Nvidia: GeForce 600 series or newer
  • AMD: Radeon HD 7700 series or newer
  • Intel: 6th generation Core (Skylake) or newer See Nvidia or AMD requirements

Obviously, it will be difficult for most people to obtain such hardware since some graphics cards that meet the requirements cards cost almost as much as a copy of Halo (around $20-$40) and most people cannot seem to afford that, either. However, I don't care, because it's my project and I can do whatever I want with it.

WaeV and Sunstriker7 like this

On 12/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, Sunstriker7 said:

Well I guess south america won't get to play with your renderer.

Oh well.

Well, I don't personally use hardware that is so old that it can't run Vulkan, so I wouldn't personally benefit from, say, writing a fallback renderer to support as much hardware as possible.

I guess a common argument I see for remakes/rewrites/remasters/etc. that ___ (Halo) is an old game from ___ (2004), so everything to do with it should be compatible with hardware from that time, but this is really not the case for a project like this. When it comes to writing a renderer that has been rewritten from the ground-up, using DirectX 9 or OpenGL 2.0 or whatever else was available at the time is kind of pointless - the older renderer works on those, so you might as well use that if that's what you're going for.

Of course, nobody should ever expect anything to actually come from this project, but as I've said before, I intend to use whatever I make (if I make anything) with Invader for writing a scenario editor since Sapien is pretty terrible. Also, since whatever I'll make will be open source, people who want to use a different rendering API will be free to fork it and reimplement it under whatever rendering API they wish provided that they follow the terms of version 3 of the GNU GPL. I won't make it too difficult to do this, but I will not provide any support for such things, either.

Sunstriker7, ST34MF0X and WaeV like this

23 hours ago, WaeV said:

Is there a source link so I can try compiling this on my own system? I'm on Debian which should be similar enough to Arch.

Not presently! Funny enough, I'm doing a rewrite of this renderer to use for scenario editing in Invader.

49 minutes ago, WaeV said:

Oh, is that what your WIP videos in Discord are?

I guess the other renderer option would be the Swordedit enhancements Samuco was working on back in the day?

Well, his goals were a lot different from mine.

He wanted to make a renderer that displayed Halo assets with additional features like screen space reflections among other things. However, I want an open source reimplementation of the Halo renderer.

ST34MF0X and WaeV like this